How to restore a bricked nand (Hard Mod)?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by TheTechGenius, May 8, 2017.

1. TheTechGenius
    OP

TheTechGenius </Web Dev>

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I didn't brick my WiiU console, but I still would like to read everything there is about restoring a wiiu nand from a brick with a hard mod. So if I do brick my WiiU, I know how to do it.

I've searched every where for a tutorial on how to install the hard mod to the nand on the motherboard, but I cannot find anything.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk

BullyWiiPlaza likes this.
  2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    MLC: http://gbatemp.net/attachments/01-jpg.74847/
    SLC: https://gbatemp.net/threads/success...-nand-with-hardmod.457165/page-3#post-7070452

You will need dedicated hardware for each - for MLC, it's a standard SD card reader (although it may be picky on certain models: look at the widely available documentation on 3DS hardmods, as the MLC -an eMMC- operates the same way)

Note that you will need a full SLC backup including error correction data (the tools to dump this have existed for barely 2 months; a rednand/rednand backup doesn't qualify)

TheTechGenius and Kafluke like this.
  3. d41u5

d41u5 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 20, 2017
    France

Hi Ryccardo,

I try to unbrick my WIIU (cbhc + sys format, I read a lot but so quick) with Teensy Hardmode but just with an SLC backup.
    Actually, it stay on WIIU logo. Are you sure I need also to restore the MLC dump too?
    Btw, could you give me a bit more information about why a rednand backup + Nand Tool can't do the job?

Br,

CC

Last edited by d41u5, May 30, 2017
  4. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It should work if you regenerate the ECC blocks, but I don't have personal experience...

Coldboothax (selecting a different autoboot application) is done by editing system.xml somewhere in SLC, so it's a little weird it wasn't fixed; but if you have a matched MLC backup, it would be a good idea to restore it, sure!

d41u5 likes this.