m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!
I've recently booted up my WiiU after years of not using it and it is unfortunately stuck on the WiiU logo screen.
After doing some research I used the UDPIH to get the logs off the wiiu to try and figure out what was up.
The only error message I could find was:
00:00:04:003: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)
00:00:04:003: failed to read file /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/0005001b/10042400/content/CafeCn.ttf, err -196635
00;00;03;884: ***LoadShared - WaitLoadComplete(0,8388608) failed with error -196635 on file "CafeCn.ttf".
00:00:04:286: FSA: ### DATA CORRUPTION ERROR ###, dev:mlc01, err:-1245211, cmd:11, path:(null)
00:00:04:286: failed to read file /vol/storage_mlc01/sys/title/0005001b/10042400/content/CafeStd.ttf, err -196635
00;00;04;167: ***LoadShared - WaitLoadComplete(0,2442464) failed with error -196635 on file "CafeStd.ttf".
Which is good, cause then hopefully it isn't a hardware issue.
I doubt the root cause is the font files, but I figured replacing these corrupted font files is probably a good place to start. I'm just not sure how to do that?
I've already gotten the otp and seeprom files off the wiiu, since it looked like those might be needed for encrypting or something.
But how do I replace the two corrupted font files with un-corrupted files?
Thanks!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please triple check the logs for "MEDIA ERROR" on the MLC drive (on ODD it's harmless) cause in 80% of hardware issues we see the font corrupting. Also note that we can't rule out a hardware issue without MEDIA ERRORs. There are multiple reasons why they aren't in the logs.

@SDIO any idea about how to confirm if this is hard- or software corruption?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First I would install ISFShax, this way we have a plan B if things go south.
Then I would run the MLC Checker to see what shape the file system is an and do a MLC backup, in the log from the MLC backup we can then see if there are Hardware errors.
Also get us the all the logs. Maybe these data corruption errors where MEDIA ERRORs in the past.
Dpeending on the syslogs and the logs from the checker and the backup we can decide what the next actions should be.
Don't replace or install anything yet, as that could make things worse.

Reactions: m_turt and V10lator

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First I would install ISFShax, this way we have a plan B if things go south.
Then I would run the MLC Checker to see what shape the file system is an and do a MLC backup, in the log from the MLC backup we can then see if there are Hardware errors.
Also get us the all the logs. Maybe these data corruption errors where MEDIA ERRORs in the past.
Dpeending on the syslogs and the logs from the checker and the backup we can decide what the next actions should be.
Don't replace or install anything yet, as that could make things worse.
Thanks for the help! I'll install the ISFShax and run the MLC Checker when I have a chance and get back to you.

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delay! Got busy with holiday stuff. I've installed ISFShax on my wiiu, but I'm not sure how to run the MLC checker. I didn't see anything in the minute menu, other than "Erase MLC", which I'm guessing I don't want to do. How do I run the mlc checker?

Also, I've attached all the system logs. They are pretty weird, which I think is due to the wiiu being off for so long. The dates are all messed up and the reported errors is over 2000.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    575 KB · Views: 16

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it in the default UDPIH recovery menu or in the ISFShax recovery menu?
Do I need to uninstall ISFShax to get the recovery menu to work? Cause right now it just automatically boots into minute when I start up the wiiu. I tried using UDPIH after doing the "Patch (sd) and boot IOS (slc)" startup method, but it didn't work.

EDIT: Or maybe it did, I can't see the screen so hard to tell.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's my fork of the recovery menu, the one you used to install ISFShax.
It should still work with ISFShax installed if you set up ISFShax correctly (have the isfshax patch and the wafel core on the SD).
It's the 4th option, so you have to press eject 3 times and then power once. The LED should then start blinking.

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just uninstalled ISFShax for now to make it simpler for me. It's easy to install, so can do it after if needed. I found a fork of the recovery menu from jan-hofmeier which seemed to have the MLC dump and am currently running that. I hit the top option, which should have been "Dump SLC+MLC" and the wiiu light is currently orange, so I think it is doing something? Usually the light is purple and I think I read the MLC dump takes a while. Hopefully its doing the right thing and I just wait for the light to be not orange?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The point of having ISFShax installed, while it is easy to install. If you need it because it bricked and UDPIH no longer works, then it's also no longer psoible to install ISFShax

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll install it again once I run the mlc checker. How long should it take to run the mlc checker?

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you are running the dumper, not the checker... But that is fine too, if the SD has enough free space. it will also generate a logfile. It can take 2h or so

Reactions: m_turt

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MLC Dump finally finished and got an mlc checker file, which I've attached. There was an mlc.log file, but it was 0KB and was empty. From what I understand, I think I have quite a few corrupted files.

Attachments

• mlc_checker.txt
    136.3 KB · Views: 29

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lots of -00030041, that means the eMMC is failing.

Install ISFShax again asap, that thing can brick every moment.

Either replace it internally or use redNAND. Do you need to recovery data from the console?

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will install ISFShax toot suite. Don't need to recover anything from the wiiu as far as I know, its been unused for a long time anyway. I was gonna install homebrew on it until I ran into this mess. I'll go the nand-aid route to "fix" my eMMC.

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it!

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We never purchased anything from the eShop as far as I know. Just had a handful of physical games. But if we did, it should be connected to my nintendo account, so I will have the password.

m_turt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh I didn't realize they were different. I'll get the NNID just in case before I go replacing anything.

SDIO

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you forgot the password, you can get the name and the email from the account.dat.

And somwhere in your Nintendo Account you have the option to link the NNID, that also gives you the option to reset the password, in case you forgot it

Reactions: m_turt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto