How to Prevent Top Screen Scratch

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Hlazler_55, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Hlazler_55
    OP

Hlazler_55 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2013
    Canada
    I've recently been realizing how bad of an effect it can have on my 3ds since it keeps scratching itself, so to fix the issue, I just took the bumpers off my Wii, (almost all systems have bumpers, take em off) and they already had a bit of glue on them, o i just put them on my 3ds, that way, the system doesn't shut fully, therefore, preventing the scratch.

2. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    or you can use the yellow screen cloth that comes with a 3DS and just always leave it covering the bottom screen

3. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Won't not closing all the way mess with the hinge?

If you ever remove the bumpers, wouldn't the hinge be loose around the closed position?

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I have had Xbox 360 bumpers on my previous (sold it to a friend recently) 3DS for almost 2 years. the hinge is still just as good as the day I got it.

my friend has bumpers that were designed for small objects or furniture. they are even taller than 360 bumpers and his hinge is still the same after having them on (almost 2 years ago around when I put the 360 bumpers on mine).

both of us would carry our 3DS's in our pockets almost daily where they are subject to being squeezed tightly from being in a pocket while sitting down.

I now have a 3DS XL and now I wish I would have put 360 bumpers on it too as it scratched itself :/

5. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    3ds xl screen protection kit? Costs like 5 bucks and when the foil gets alot of scratches, then replace it with a new one after like a year or so.... :wtf: I never noticed any kind of scratches on the top screens of my 2 3ds xl systems....

Riyaz likes this.
  6. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Never understood why everyone on gbatemp is so against using screen protectors.

I've been using them ever since my DSi and love them. I use Zagg shields, or BodyGuardz - for the 3DS XL, Armor Suit makes a great "full body" protection kit. Those ones are high quality material, not crappy cheap ones like the $2 kind, and don't affect visibility at all. Plus they resist fingerprints as well.

Riyaz likes this.
  7. scubamage

scubamage Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2013
    United States
    Personally, I don't like screen protectors because I have yet to put one on without having dust get caught underneath it and driving me crazy until I rip the thing back off, lol

8. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    That's why you get the kind with an application spray. Dust tends to not stick to water.

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    What cloth?

10. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    ...no cloth came with the 3DS. Unless you mean that little styrofoam slip I think came with it.

11. Pong20302000

Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    strange
    maybe it was only a early 3DS thing

but rarther than plastic in the origional boxes there was a little yellow cloth on the bottom screen

12. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Maybe JAP only?

13. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I decided to look into it as I had nothing better to do and cannot seem to find any 3DS unboxings that include a yellow cloth. all of them have the foam piece including the japanese ones.

All I can think of is that he got a 2nd hand 3DS where someone put a cloth between the screens instead of using the foam piece it came with.

14. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    you mean that piece of cloth that is used to clean the screen from dust and fingerprints? but that one usually is black, so you probably dont meant that.... still, you can put that between the screens... everyone should have one of those

edit: that yellow cloth? I have one of those, but it came with the screen prtector kit of my phone.....
    http://fasttechcdn.com/products/117/1174800/1174800-2.jpg

but I think, every 3DS box includes one of those, a black microfiber cloth ... if not, then maybe I got them from my 3DS screen protector kits.... but I dunno, I have 2 3DS system and like 5 or more of those cloths, so I assume, I got some from my 3DS boxes, too
    http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m9BXyquwB-9kZ5fUQ4u_hmA.jpg

15. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    edit: sry my wiiu double posted that o.O

16. Kane49

Kane49 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 4, 2013
    Gambia, The
    I opened 5 3DS XL and none included a cloth ^^

17. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    huh, then where the hell did I get all those cloths from XD
    well sorry then, but if you ever bought a screen protector kit for your phone, wiiu, psp or whatever, then you will have such a cloth.... ^^