Tutorial  Updated

How to Make 3DS Custom Themes *2020 Updated*

After much struggle I have made some critical break through in regards to music formatting, cropping resolutions and theme creation. So I thought I would update my old 2018 guide.

Tools Needed
Step One: Adjust the Image
Put your desired image over the scrolling (blue) or regular (red) layer as desired. Use the Unified Transform Tool to resize the image to fit within the parameters (it's right next to the crop tool).

A: The gap between 3DS screens on the XL is 56 pixels, and all other 3DS models have a similar sized gap. Lots of theme makers ignore the gap, but certain things can look weird if there's that few mm gap where someone's arm or head is supposed to be.

A: Usagi combines themes left to right, so when you crop at 512 it cuts off 100 pixels on the right side, but this also means the bottom screen crop won't be positioned even with the top screen so we need to have its position at 146 by 396. Bottom resolution is 320x240 > 320 - 412 = 92, divide that by 2 and we get 46 pixels, so to get them pixel perfect we take the 100 x position and add 46 to get the perfect bottom screen crop.

upload_2020-6-27_18-59-37.png

Step Two: Crop The Images

Use the cropping tool on GIMP to select the appropriate areas for both top and bottom screens.

Regular top and bottom crops will be done at 512x256, HOWEVER only the area in the RED will be visible.
Position 100 by 100 for top images
Position 146 by 396 for bottom images.​
Scrolling themes are 1024x256 but only the area in BLUE will display on your 3DS.
Position 100 by 100 for top images
Position 100 by 396 for bottom images.​

1.) nicer image quality, 2.) scrolling themes sometimes have glitches and not reach properly. I cropped all my old themes according to internal resolution and the images came out with glitches, didn't align properly, and looked especially bad on scrolling themes.

upload_2020-6-27_19-6-10.png

Step Three: Usagi Theme Editor
Place the top and bottom image into Usagi as shown below. You can play around within here to get background music or custom colors.

upload_2020-6-27_18-53-42.png

Step Four: Looping Audio Converter
Using Looping Audio Converter 1.3.3 find the appropriate song, and convert from MP3 to BCSTM using BrawlLib RSTM decoder.

The bgm file MUST be under 3.3mb and you can ensure this by converting to mono and lowering the Hz of the audio. Please note that a 3.3mb mp3 might be 10mb as an unmodified bcstm which is why mono and new sample rates are helpful in getting the file size where we want it. Use audacity or other tools to edit.

In the old days of theme creation, we had to convert mp3 to wav, then to bcsrm, then bcstm but using 1.3.3 and the brawl plugin you'll always create compatible bgm. You don't need to convert between any additional formats.

upload_2020-6-27_19-10-56.png

Once you have the music file under 3.3mb rename it bgm.bcstm and place it in the folder with the other saved usagi files. If you want to put it on your 3ds without uploading to themeplaza.eu then you best put it in a .ZIP file.

I've made a lot of 3ds themes, but I made many of them WRONG. So this guide is a way of helping other people avoid the mistakes I've made. The biggest one I've done was cropping the images. Originally I did so at the 3ds resolution instead of Usagi's 512x256 (or 1024x256 for scrolling themes) and this created lots of streching or glitches with the image themselves, especially in scrolling themes. My old 2018 crop tool didn't work very well, and my newer one didn't account for that new piece of information. So the one I have uploaded here is positioned in a way to allow perfect scrolling.

Last edited by ,

The_Monado_Satyr

Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
hi,

i have a problem with a bgm.

i've got a theme from themeplaza (Pixel Metro Train) where i wanted to just change the music.
so i converted a mp3 with LoopingAudioConverter, tested it with the theme in 3DS Theme Editor (worked), saved it again and tried to install it with anemone, but when i try to install the new altered theme, it says i've got no body_LZ.bin (i have) and when i just try to install the BGM, it crashes my 3DS.

In the original Theme zip File, theres also a .ogg file, but i guess thats just because of the preview on the site...?

So, there must be something wrong with the bgm, i think its because i didn't use BrawlLib... where do i get that plugin and how do i use it with LoopingAudioConverter?
Looping Audio Converter 1.3.3** (NOTE: this is the best version of the converter to use, you need to use the brawl lib plugin to successfully convert mp3 to bcstm) in case the copypaste link didnt work click it above the brawl thing is in the looper

Vaisalterego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
Thank you very much, but then i think i did everything right...

In LAC i just chose BCSTM from the dropdown menu, checked "put all channels in one file" and it converted it into a bcstm file (1,7MB).
Then i loaded a theme von themeplaza into the 3ds Theme Editor, changed the music (it played and looped), saved it as a new theme, zip'd it, moved it to the SD and tried to load it with Anemone.

But neither the full theme or just the BGM don't work...

Last edited by Vaisalterego,

The_Monado_Satyr

Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much, but then i think i did everything right...

In LAC i just chose BCSTM from the dropdown menu, checked "put all channels in one file" and it converted it into a bcstm file (1,7MB).
Then i loaded a theme von themeplaza into the 3ds Theme Editor, changed the music (it played and looped), saved it as a new theme, zip'd it, moved it to the SD and tried to load it with Anemone.

But neither the full theme or just the BGM don't work...
well shit and sorry was away most of today try asking the op, im new to themes but my prob was the bgm so i tried to help my apologies

D

Deleted User

OP
hi,

i have a problem with a bgm.

i've got a theme from themeplaza (Pixel Metro Train) where i wanted to just change the music.
so i converted a mp3 with LoopingAudioConverter, tested it with the theme in 3DS Theme Editor (worked), saved it again and tried to install it with anemone, but when i try to install the new altered theme, it says i've got no body_LZ.bin (i have) and when i just try to install the BGM, it crashes my 3DS.

In the original Theme zip File, theres also a .ogg file, but i guess thats just because of the preview on the site...?

So, there must be something wrong with the bgm, i think its because i didn't use BrawlLib... where do i get that plugin and how do i use it with LoopingAudioConverter?

Music is always the hardest part. Make sure that you used the correct version of the converter and double check my screenshots, it shows you where to high lite for brawllib. Get rid of the .ogg file.

TheRealMorganTubeHD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was making a theme and make my own bgm file, but it doesn't for some reason work. I tried everything. YES, I made sure it was under 3.3mb YES, I Made Sure to use the right codec (ADPCM), And It STILL DOESN'T PLAY When the theme is loaded... Is there something I'm Doing Wrong?

rolenks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you not just use something like ms paint to resize images, gimp doesn't really matter too much right?

dewgstrom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the guide, awesome writeup!

Is it possible to make an Anemone theme with an intro to the BGM music before it starts to loop, or can you only have one looping section?

Being more specific, I whipped together a theme based on the old Sega CD "no disc" screen, and while I've got the music looped more or less perfectly it just feels like it's missing something without the rad intro bit.

nx_2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have a problem with the bgm. For some reason it only plays on the left speaker, any help?
I'm encountering this same issue and I've tried a couple different means of encoding monaural audio. Is it possible to get a mono track of emanate from both speakers?

RetroVerso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So I've tried to make a theme but when I install it in the 3ds, after powering off and on the default theme comes up. the bgm is 2.692kb, so fairly under 3.3mb. I'll try to upload the file here if it's easier for you to take a look.

Attachments

• Professor Layton Theme.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 240

nx_2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've tried to make a theme but when I install it in the 3ds, after powering off and on the default theme comes up. the bgm is 2.692kb, so fairly under 3.3mb. I'll try to upload the file here if it's easier for you to take a look.
Installed just fine for me, audio works. Looks good!

RetroVerso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Installed just fine for me, audio works. Looks good!

Yup nevermind. The previous versions of the theme had an option enabled, I believe it was the sound effects, but since my theme don't add any my guess is it was looking for said sound effects but when it didn't saw them it crashed.
I hadn't time to test the latest until now.
but since I'm at it, how to I add sound effects?

Mr.Faq2015

/ˈmɪstə ˈfæk/
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
could you not just use something like ms paint to resize images, gimp doesn't really matter too much right?
Paint resizing does approximation rather than bicubic/bilinear scaling as gimp does. You can use paint but it will not look good on a small screen like the 3DS's. You can use any image editing software really, as long as it has a resize function; then again gimp is free and open-source so it's more than enough.

While I'm at it, the exact byte size limit for bgm rounds exactly to 3292 KB. If your bgm size is equal or higher to 3292 KB, it will not work properly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs