Hardware How to keep my second PS Vita Battery alive ?

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi folks,

I bought two PS Vita last winter. Just in case one of them was not working.
By chance, both work well so I only use one of them everyday, but my second one is not used at all.

What should I do to keep its battery functionnal and not damage it ?

Shoud I let it uncharged ? Or should I charge it every two weeks ?

Thank you a lot !

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can leave it uncharged for a long time, it doesn't use much battery when it is in sleep mode. If you don't use it at all you should completely shut it off.

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much !

If anyone has more details about how to do, do not hesitate to post.

LVG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I got several systems, in case one of them fails, and also to be able to play multiplayer games with my kids. The kids are still young, so I'm storing the other systems at the moment.

I had to change the battery in a couple systems because they were not working correctly, so I checked a few tutorials on how to change the battery. For example, this one is ok :

After thinking about storage, I decided to unplug the battery in the units I don't use at the moment. To unplug the battery, I just opened the system as shown in the video, unplug the battery from the main board, and then I put the system back together.
Then, I put one of those little anti humidity bags in each system's case, and stored them away in a dry and even temperature place.

I don't know what I can do to make it better : if you have ideas I'm all ears :)

EDIT : the battery was at about 50% capacity when I unplugged it.

Last edited by LVG,
Reactions: cvskid

vlvt

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
letting it drain fully or removing it if youre not using it for long periods of time

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much !

If anyone has more details about how to do, do not hesitate to post.

PS Vita Lithium Ion like to be stored at 3.6-3.9v. You could charge/discharge the battery to 50-65% for the battery to last longer. Keep as close to 25 degrees C and moisture free as possible.

Unfortunately it won't last forever even when not in use. You might be able to store it 5-10 years.

The longer the battery is stored, the lower the resulting capacity. You put it away and it can hold 2200 mah, In 2 years it might be around 2000 mah.

The further away from 3.7v storage the more damage over time. A battery stored at 4.2v (full) might be 1500mah at that same 2 years. Storing full is terrible for the battery.

Manufacturers consider a battery dead or needing replacement at 80% of their original capacity. After that the probability for the electrolyte to leak into other areas of the battery increases - that can cause a fire but probably would just kill the battery instantly. 80% capacity of the original battery is 1760mah or 3.6 hours of Minecraft at the regular clockspeed (333mhz).

They also lose voltage over time. If you store it at 3.7v for 6 months, it might be 3.5 or 3.4 - so you should charge it to 55% at least once a year. A battery starts taking a lot of damage under 3 volts and a vita won't even charge it if it's below 3v (vita considers 3.2 to be 0% empty battery) the vita will not even charge the battery because the vita wants to protect you.

If I think of anything else I'll reply again... I have done a bunch of battery investigations since I started modding the vita battery.

Last edited by Anderxale,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk