How to format SD without losing Boot9Strap

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MeatieMeat, May 22, 2017.

1. MeatieMeat
    OP

MeatieMeat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    I would like to format my sd card what files do I need to keep to be able to keep using B9S.
    I can't use my 3ds without the sd card right now that is another issue on another thread but I have a 32gb sd card and have only 6.6gb available and all the game are missing now

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Just back everything up before reformatting. B9S is not depend on your SD card, reformatting the SD card or even the system will not remove it. It's an exploit installed deep in the system itself.

Ricken likes this.
  3. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    So long as you have boot.firm on the nand, you technically don't need anything on the SD.. but keep Nintendo 3DS if you still want your installed stuff, keep boot.firm for convenience, and keep luma for whatever payloads you may have

4. MeatieMeat
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    But what files do I need back on there

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I want all my games back but they dont show up on my system anymore but the sd card is still full

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You will have to remove the games through the system setting and or buy a bigger SD card.
    Really you need all the files needed for the hack (boot.firm for example) and the Nintendo 3DS folder. You also need all the folders/files related to any homebrew you are running

6. MeatieMeat
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2016
    Canada
    My nintendo 3ds folder is the biggest one at 15gb