Hacking How to fix SD card undeletable folders

ozguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you see odd folders on your SD card that you cannot delete, or folders are missing that you know were there before, this will help.

This is usually caused by removing your SD card/card reader from your Windows computer without using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon near the Windows clock. You should always use 'Safely Remove Hardware' before removing any storage device such as memory cards or external hard drives.
This is because Windows doesn't always write information to the card/drive immediately, so if you remove it without warning, sometimes it can leave files/folders in an unusable state.

CHKDSK can fix the problem. You need to run it from a command prompt, and you need to know the drive letter of your SD Card.

Use chkdsk as follows:

Click the Windows START button and choose RUN (or hold the Windows logo key on your keyboard and press the letter r)
Then type cmd and press enter or click ok
(you will see a command prompt window come up)
now type: chkdsk e: /f
(change the e to the drive letter of your SD card. The /f tells chkdsk to fix errors it finds)
It will take a minute or so. If you see a message asking if you want to convert things to files, tell it NO (the files are of no use, they are corrupted anyway). Just make a note of what files/directories have a problem, since you will need to replace those files on the card.
You can now close the command prompt window.

Now you can replace the files/folders that chkdsk reported as having a problem by putting them on the card again.

Remember: ALWAYS use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' button before you remove any memory card or external hard drive from the computer. With WBFS formatted drives it is even more important, since there is currently no way to check for errors on WBFS partitions.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I didn't know how to do this, and hence my SD card only use is for Wii Hacking, I will say this goes here, thanks OP....!!!
biggrin.gif

ozguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mousex:

I have seen many people ask about this problem, so a quick guide was definately needed.
Not everyone realizes there are consequences of simply removing the card/drive, and the Wii has no real way of checking for such errors other than things simply not working.

Also, if you use the 'check for errors' option on the Tools tab on the drive properties, which most people are familiar with, it doesn't always detect truncated files/directories. Not everyone knows how to use chkdsk.

With WBFS formatted drives it is even more important to use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon, since there is currently no way to check for errors on WBFS partitions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill