How to fix headphones? :'o

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Njrg, Jul 13, 2010.

Jul 13, 2010

How to fix headphones? :'o by Njrg at 8:56 AM (2,032 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Njrg
    OP

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    My headphones are crap.

One speaker works, but the other doesn't.

wats more is theres only one wire that goes into the left speaker, and from there leads another wire to the right speaker.
    I don't understand why the right speaker isn't having problems when the left one is, and they're sharing the same line.

There are also no breaks in the insulation and taken apart, all the wires/copper remain soldered, intact to the speaker.

From time to time if I move my wire, sound returns, but if I move it to the same position after letting go, it won't work.

So WTF is going on and how does me fix it?

2. GreatWisdom

Newcomer GreatWisdom Advanced Member

I don't think its fixable. I've had that problem countless times i just buy a new headphones on eBay for less than 1$. It's cheap and it last for awhile

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It's the single most common problem that comes up with headphones. It'll typically happen to every pair of headphones sometime during its life. For me, that typically means around a year if I take it travelling... or around 3 years if it's only used at home. For some of my friends who use them with their fancy ipods, it happens every few months.

One solution is to find the curve in which it starts working again then tape it up in position. That doesn't last long. Another solution is to cut open the wire at that point, find the fracture, and try patching it up. It lasts longer, but you've got to have a lil confidence in electronics to be able to strip a wire without damaging it. Best solution is as above: bite the losses and buy some new ones.

Tip for prolonging headphones: never tightly wrap up the wire. Use a loose hoop when it's not in use, one that can save space without risking fracture in the wire. Or just use wireless/bluetooth headphones.

4. Njrg
    OP

United States
    Before I read the replies I was thinking Dealextreme...

I went to go check my account balance online to see how much I was limited to, I think the bank had closed my account because I haven't used my card in over a year. :\

I might go pick me up some wireless headphones at Walmart maybe...

The past two years I've gone through 6 pairs of headphones.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    Somehow I've kept the same Skullcandy headphones for the last 2 and a half years... the cuishins are really cracked up and one side no longer holds its length properly, but the sound is still just as great as when I first bought them.

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    its probably the input jack. wouldn't bother trying to rewire that, just grab a new set of headphones or speakers.

7. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i have 2 pairs of koss porta pro headphones. one pair i've owned for over 7 years and it just started failing, the sound isn't gone but it crackles a bit, i will be returning it for repair (lifetime warranty). the other one works perfectly and i've had for almost 6 years.

i've had two other porta pros, one got stolen when i was back in school and one i lost at the beach. they sound great and they seem to last forever.

8. MaK11-12

Member MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Try taking the headphones apart (usually not possible), theres probably a loose wire somewhere. This has happened to me before, so i got some new in-ear phones from amazon for £5 and there working much longer than my other one did. It just happens...

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    That's what I hate about headphones/earphones. I'd pay a bit more for a set that wouldn't suffer that problem.

10. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Same. If only there was a way to splice 2 pairs of headphones together in to create a new pair, more resistant to this kind of problems, everything would be perfect.

11. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    That's why I buy expensive headphones, mine cost me £30 though I know not everyone has money to splash on headphones. I know I bought a pair of orange in ear headphones from eBay that lasted me about 6 months, the sound was great and everything. They only broke because my friend was drunk and she pulled them apart. Bitch she owes me £3.

12. Originality

United Kingdom
    The problem about in-earphones... they don't fit in my ears. Same for normal earphones, they just keep falling out no matter what I try. Headphones FTW!

13. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Get headphones with removable cables.

Shure's 440

Sleek SA1, SA6

14. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    I have the same problem, that's why I bought Heartbeats 'cause they have 5 different sizes. Mine fit perfectly now. It was always my right ear though, never my left. It's a bit strange really.

15. Njrg
    OP

United States
    I don't buy earphones, they hurt my ears, sometimes the pain lingers. Kinda like anal sex where you can still feel the pain days after. ;D

I bought some new headphones, they were $5.
    http://www.viewpoints.com/Magnavox-Foldabl...ews?tab=details

They're pretty cheap, and the sound quality can't compare to the prev-pair.
    Its what I should have expected from Magnavox, but my grocery store didn't exactly have a selection parallel to BestBuy/Walmart.

16. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I have pondered similar thoughts.

Or the lazy way is to get two pairs and a splitter.

17. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Just keep holding it on place or just buy new headphones.
    I had the same problem but then I bought some new headphones and it all got fixed.