Hacking [How to] DSiWare Downgrade System Transfer & Restore Successfully

clancy94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Everyday I see people posting questions on how to System Transfer using the DSiWare downgrade so I figured why not make a guide that people can follow instead. Plailect's guide on the specifics of the DSiWare downgrade part is great (https://3ds.guide/dsiware-downgrade) but I'll try and cover the System Transfer & Restoration process a bit more indepth.

Some Things to Clear Up
Source 3DS = The 3DS which is already hacked
Target 3DS = The 3DS you want to hack
Original 3DS Family = o3DS/o3DS XL & 2DS
'New' 3DS Family = n3DS & n3DS XL
Transferring up = From old 3DS family to 'New' 3DS family
  • DSiWare downgrading a second 3DS will not remove a9lh from the source 3DS
  • If backed up correctly the source 3DS will be exactly the same as it was before the DSiWare downgrade
  • If transferring within the same family, both will have functional NNID's when we're done.
  • If transferring up a family, only the target n3DS will have a functional NNID.

Getting Started
  • Make sure you've followed Plailect's guide TO THE WORD up to "Section V - System Transfer"
  • If you're transferring a up 3DS family, I would recommend using a microSD to SD adapter in the original 3DS
    CI7_NN3DS_NewNintendo3DS_Transfers_SDCardAdpater-sml.jpg
  • Ideally both the source SD & target SD are the same size (saves some time transferring)
  • The Target 3DS must have no NNID attached to it; if there is Format System Memory in System Settings > Other Settings > Page 5.
Make Backups
  • On the source 3ds you want to make a nand.bin backup first, then make a backup of the SD card & save it somewhere on your PC.
  • To make a nand.bin backup, enter Hourglass9 by holding down start on boot. Then proceed to SysNAND Backup/Restore > SysNAND Backup > Press A to Backup.
  • On the target 3ds also make a SD card backup.
Accessing System Transfer
If you're not on the latest firmware you'll have to use ctr-httpwn to access System Transfer, this requires a Homebrew entry-point:
If you don't have one of the carts above already, I'd recommend updating to the latest firmware and using Steelhax (setup follow Plailect's guide).

The System Transfer
Now this process is slightly different depending on if the transfer involves going from o3ds/2ds -> n3ds, but basically this is what we're trying to achieve:
3DS_system_transfer_diagram.gif

Now lets begin.
  • Both the source & target must be connected to WiFi
  • System Settings > Other Settings > Page 4 > System Transfer
  • Select the second option (Transfer from a 3DS system)
  • On the Source 3DS select 'Send from this System' & select the target 3DS
  • On the Target 3DS accept the transfer.
  • If prompted selected PC Transfer (only for 2ds/o3ds->n3ds transfers)
  • Move DSiWare titles when prompted
  • When prompted take out the source SD card & put it in the Target 3DS
Now you've successfully System transferred, continue to 'Section VII - Backing up the target 3DS’s NFIRM' of Plailects guide.

Now to restore the Source 3DS

Remember that SD card backup we made earlier? Copy that back onto the SD card and place it in your source 3DS.
  • Hold start on boot to enter Hourglass9
  • Then proceed to SysNAND Backup/Restore > SysNAND Restore (keep a9lh) > Folow the prompts & select the nand.bin you made earlier.
  • Return to the main Hourglass9 screen and press Start to reboot.
  • Everything should be as it was before the System transfer.
If you transferred between 3DS's of the same family (o3ds->o3ds or n3ds->n3ds) you'll want to wait a week & system transfer again so both systems have functional NNID's.
  • By making a nand.bin backup then sd card backup of both 3DS's in a weeks time you won't lose a thing & the original source 3DS will have it's NNID back.
If you transferred up (o3ds/2ds -> n3ds) you won't be able to transfer back in a week, so you'll want to unlink the NNID from your source system. You can do this by going into:
  • System Settings > Nintendo Network ID Settings
  • You'll get an error reading 'This NNID is not attached to this device', this is fine.
  • While still on the error screen: Hold Y & X then press A, this should logout the NNID from the 3DS.
Now you should have 2 hacked 3DS's!

I've done this about 4 times without a hitch.

If I've missed something/made a mistake or am unclear please tell me :)

Last edited by clancy94,

clancy94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any recommendations?

I should add unless you're transferring within the old 3DS family, definitely grab a microSD adapter so transferring 'up' doesn't require you to copy/paste source sd contents to target sd.

wiiu more like pee u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • You'll get an error reading 'This NNID is not attached to this device', this is fine.
  • While still on the error screen: Hold Y & X then press A, This should unlink the NNID from the 3DS.

Im pretty sure that this only logs you out, and does NOT unlink the NNID from the 3DS. Only calling Nintendo or system transferring back can unlink your NNID from your device.

clancy94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
  • While still on the error screen: Hold Y & X then press A, This should unlink the NNID from the 3DS.

Im pretty sure that this only logs you out, and does NOT unlink the NNID from the 3DS. Only calling Nintendo or system transferring back can unlink your NNID from your device.
Yeah actually wasn't sure on this. Since I've only done it once and didn't attempt to login to another NNID after doing the 'Hold Y & X then press A' trick. From what I understand, if you were able to login with another NNID the original NNID would be unlinked from the source 3DS and linked to the target 3DS

Can anyone confirm?

wiiu more like pee u

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah actually wasn't sure on this. Since I've only done it once and didn't attempt to login to another NNID after doing the 'Hold Y & X then press A' trick. From what I understand, if you were able to login with another NNID the original NNID would be unlinked from the source 3DS and linked to the target 3DS

Can anyone confirm?
I called Nintendo to unlink my NNID from my target 3ds, and after they did, I got a "this NNID cannot be used with this device" on the target 3DS. Holding down the X+Y button logged me out so that I could link a new NNID to my target 3ds, and so that I could link the current one back to my source 3ds. You can't just hold X+Y to log yourself out then login on another devi

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I called Nintendo to unlink my NNID from my target 3ds, and after they did, I got a "this NNID cannot be used with this device" on the target 3DS. Holding down the X+Y button logged me out so that I could link a new NNID to my target 3ds, and so that I could link the current one back to my source 3ds. You can't just hold X+Y to log yourself out then login on another device without calling Nintendo. or system transferring back.

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the x+y should work. The source has no nnid linked to it any longer, so just create a new one. Seems logical to me.

clancy94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I think the x+y should work. The source has no nnid linked to it any longer, so just create a new one. Seems logical to me.
That's what I would think... The source NNID has already unlinked and transferred to the target so all X+Y does is logout; allowing you to login to a different NNID.

The reason I'm not 100% though is because Plailect's guide says the NNID will be 'non-functional'?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bomigoton

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey.
So I started to transfer between two new 3ds. The source 3ds has the DSi ware game, steeldiver and 2 more cia installed titles.
The Source 3ds said it tranfered ok and 7days no tranfer possible, the target 3ds made me press ok , but then an error occured.
Error-Code 028-3136
Try again later.
I restored the source 3ds. But what went wrong?
I did not copy the DSi title to sd before transfer, I saw this changed in the plalect guide in the meanwhile.

Milo5789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Once, I tried to downgrade using a 2ds as a source system. The 2ds couldn't boot the game, but when transfered, the target system made a succesful downgrade. Do you know if 2ds's have issues with dsiware? A friend of mine is asking to DG a 2ds on 11.0 and Im afraid this could happen again (inverse way)

clancy94

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Once, I tried to downgrade using a 2ds as a source system. The 2ds couldn't boot the game, but when transfered, the target system made a succesful downgrade. Do you know if 2ds's have issues with dsiware? A friend of mine is asking to DG a 2ds on 11.0 and Im afraid this could happen again (inverse way)
Follow the DS/DSi is broken fix here: https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse