Hacking How to convert a PS1 savefile (.mcr or .gme) to a PS3 Virtual Memory card (.PSV)?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God, is .gme the old Dexdrive format? I recall that I used to use mine (when I had a PC with a serial port) to copy the saves to a PS1 memory card then use my PS1/PS2 to PS3 memory card adapter to get them on there.

I can confirm the above method works with no CFW involved, but eh probably a bit cost-prohibitive to acquire those items now
Dexdrive still works and is still cheap. Even the old software still works, but MemcardRex v1.8 is preferred. The serial-to-USB adapter draws enough power that you don't even need the original power cord.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dexdrive still works and is still cheap. Even the old software still works, but MemcardRex v1.8 is preferred. The serial-to-USB adapter draws enough power that you don't even need the original power cord.

Interesting...I was cleaning the other day and came across it.

I remember when I first upgraded to a motherboard with no serial ports, serial-to-USB cables had spotty reports of working with them. Of course this was like a decade ago, and by then I'd lost a lot of interest in that method anyway. A PSP was easy enough to run eboots and cheats on if I'd like to save time on a game or see the best ending on a long jRPG (now there's YouTube, at any rate)

Even then, the official Dexdrive software had been outpaced by a fan project that offered a few features the official build didn't

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering, is there a way to convert .psv back to older formats?
MemcardRex: https://github.com/ShendoXT/memcardrex
psv2mcr.png

Attachments

• MemcardRex 1.8.rar
    453.3 KB · Views: 374

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• BASCUS-941634646372D533031.PSV.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: solmstead

solmstead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• kalm.zip
    2 KB · Views: 150
  • ff7 (2).zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by solmstead,

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry, but somehow an error happened while editing this, so I had to fix it. Could you convert these ones?
1. save: FF7: disk 1, outside Kalm; max money/stats, all magic, all skills, all summons, max/all items, max/all materia, all limit breaks

2. save: FF7: disk 1, after opening; max money/stats, all magic, max/all items, max/all materia, all limit breaks

Attachments

• 1. BASCUS-941634646372D533031.PSV.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 2. BASCUS-941634646372D533031.PSV.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 90

Clavietka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This has been an interesting read, althought I'm kinda confused with so many file formats and all.

I deeply love Final Fantasy IX and I would like to know if I start a game save on the epsxe emulator, will I be able to later play wit that same save on my non-modded PS3? And will the PS3 recognize the save normally?

I want to play on epsxe (with savestates) up to the excalibur 2 (withing 12 in-game hours), and continue from there on my PS3.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This has been an interesting read, althought I'm kinda confused with so many file formats and all.

I deeply love Final Fantasy IX and I would like to know if I start a game save on the epsxe emulator, will I be able to later play wit that same save on my non-modded PS3? And will the PS3 recognize the save normally?

I want to play on epsxe (with savestates) up to the excalibur 2 (withing 12 in-game hours), and continue from there on my PS3.
Yes, you'll be able to continue. Started Spyro 3 on my unmodded PS3, but due to lag I continued on PC.

Clavietka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You have to convert from the epsxe format with Memcardrex (.mrc iirc) into the PS3 format, which I can't remember right now. Then, stick that into a usb and copy it over to your ps3.

PSV?

Is this method too evolved? And will it mess with any of the game data (like cheating does) or is it a perfect convertion? Thanks for pointing me the correct program to convert files.

I've read on the internet that the PS3 won't recognize the game save at first hand, and that you should press the xmb button and manually chose the save or something like that. Does this drawback apply to your method?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transfer PS1 saves from PS3 to PC

1. PS3: export .PSV from PS3 to USB / download .PSV from Gamefaqs
export.png

2. PSV Exporter: extract .PSV to .MCS
PSVexporter.png

3. MemcardRex: import .MCS to .MCR
MemcardRex.png

Attachments

• PSVExporter v1.3.zip
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 243
  • MemcardRex v1.8.zip
    463.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: cvskid

Clavietka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
1. PS3: export .PSV from PS3 to USB / download .PSV from Gamefaqs
View attachment 187021

2. PSV Exporter: extract .PSV to .MCS
View attachment 187018

3. MemcardRex: import .MCS to .MCR
View attachment 187019

Thank you so much sir. Those are very clear directions. What if I want to do it the other way around? I've already downloaded memcardrex and I have a .mcr savefile for Final Fantasy IX I from epsxe. What option do I chose to make that .mcr file into a .psv?

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@solmstead, @vree, @ignare, @alexander1970, I think you guys were looking for something like this.

PSV Exporter v1.3
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Description
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
At long last, importing ARX Max (PS2) and MCS (PS1) saves and exporting as PSV files is now here!

PSV Exporter allows you to import PSV files (PS1 & PS2), AR Max Saves (PS2) and MCS files (PS1).
It enables you export to individual files (PS2), to AR Max format (PS2), to a single MCS save (PS1) or as a PSV file as used by the PS3.

Usage for PS2 files
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Load the an AR Max (*.max) save or a PSV file to display a list of the files contained within.

You can extract individual files or extract all at once into a folder.
When you extract all at once you will be prompted to choose a location to save to. In this location a folder will created containing all the files, this maintains compatibility with uLaunchELF and PS2 save Builder (hint: The Root/ID should be named the same as this directory.)
On extraction any 'illegal' characters which Windows does not support in filenames will be removed. These will need renaming to the correct filename if rebuilding in PS2SaveBuilder or another utility.

Exporting as an AR Max save will prompt you for a location to save the file to. The PS2 Filenames are not changed if this option is used.

Saving as a PSV File will prompt you to choose a location to save to, it is important that you DO NOT change the filename. The filename is part of the file integrity verification the PS3 performs when loading the PSV file.

Usage for PS1 files
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Simply load the a PS1 Single save (*.mcs) or a PSV file containing the PS1 save.

To export in MCS format simply press the PS1 button (or 'Extract PS1 save' menu item/popup menu item) and choose a name for the file.
PS1 saves are extracted as .mcs files, these are a single save (as opposed to a card image such as Dexdrive). Should you need a different save format a utility such as PSXGameEdit should be of use.

Saving as a PSV File will prompt you to choose a location to save to, it is important that you DO NOT change the filename. The filename is part of the file integrity verification the PS3 performs when loading the PSV file.
exportPSV.png

Last edited by zfreeman,
Reactions: Ryccardo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!