How to use a PS2 classic save from PS4 on PS3?

Computeraar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey. I've been playing GTA Vice City Stories on my jailbroken PS4, but I've now reached the second island and the framerate is really bad there. It was fine on the first island. So, I'm thinking of extracting my savefile and trying to play it on the PS3, because I believe performance is a bit better there. I have a PS3 slim, so it uses emulation and doesn't have native backwards compatibility. I have the game in .ISO format and launch it through Webman.

Now, my question is, how can I extract the save file from my PS4 and use it on the PS3? I tried using Apollo Save Tool on PS4 and was able to extract the savefile from GTA VCS (or so I think). I got 2 files that way: VMC0.card and VMC1.card. I can't seem to find anything about this file format though. The virtual memory card on the PS3 seems to be in .VM2 format. I'm now trying to get the memory cards I extracted into a VM2 format that can be read by the PS3. I tried to simply rename the file extension of the .card files to .VM2 and place it in the correct folder (dev_hdd0/savedata/vmc), but that did not work, as the PS3 didn't see the memory card that way. How can I make this work?

Last edited by Computeraar,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have to set the memory card in the xmb, plus, you need to restart to refresh the database after sending them over. going into an app, then exiting might work too.

Computeraar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you have to set the memory card in the xmb, plus, you need to restart to refresh the database after sending them over. going into an app, then exiting might work too.
What do you mean with 'set the memory card in the xmb'? I have the 2 .VM2 files (which I got by simply renaming VMC0.card and VMC1.card) on the root of a USB flash drive. After inserting that into the PS3, when I go to memory card utility and select the flash drive, nothing shows up. I also tried placing them in the vcm folder through FTP and rebooting the PS3 afterwards, but that doesn't make it show up either.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to create a memory card first. Did you do that, and is the vc0 named the save thing, overwriting the original file?

Computeraar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You need to create a memory card first. Did you do that, and is the vc0 named the save thing, overwriting the original file?
Yes. I actually tried a couple of things now, but none of them have worked:

1. I tried renaming the VMC0.card to VMC0.ps2, then opening it in myMC, then exporting the .psu for GTA VCS. Then, I created a new Virtual Memory Card on the PS3, copied that .VM2 file to my PC, renamed it to .ps2, opened it in myMC, imported the .psu I exported earlier, then renaming the .ps2 back to .VM2, copying it back to the PS3 using FTP, overwriting the original Virtual Memory Card on the PS3, but the card shows as having no saves on it, despite the saves showing up if I open the same file in myMC.

2. I then tried to instead copy the exported .psu file to a USB flash drive and putting that into the PS3, because I believe the PS3 can copy saves into a virtual memory card (or does it need to be .psv for that?). However, I checked under both the Saved Data Utility (PS2) and Memory Card Utility section in the XMB, but the PS3 doesn't recognise any saves on the USB.

3. I also tried simply renaming the VMC0.card to Internal Memory Card.VM2 and copying it to the PS3, overwriting the old file.

Computeraar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What game? I'll see if I can test it. Need the save too.
Okay, so it turns out I'm an idiot. Using method 1 from my earlier reply, after copying the .VM2 file back to the PS3, overwriting the old one, I rebooted the PS3 and checked under memory card utility and the save didn't show up if I selected the memory card. But, when launching the game, it actually reads it just fine! It now also shows up under memory card utility, so I guess you just have to run the game once first after copying the .VM2 in order for the PS3 to recognise it.

Reactions: zfreeman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"