How to convert .3ds to .3dz with save?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by xtreme1, Sep 29, 2014.

1. xtreme1
    OP

xtreme1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2008
    United States
    I must be blind, because I cannot find how to do this anywhere. Anyone know how to extract the save out of a .3ds file for use with a .3dz file?

MarkDarkness likes this.
  2. Rinth

Rinth GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    You can't.

3. GorTesK

GorTesK Mad Hatter

Jan 29, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Down The Rabbit Hole
    the process of making a .3ds rom online compatible involves changing it's header data, that alone makes the .3ds saves incompatible with .3dz roms, for now there is no solution to this, someone would have to create a way to decrypt, edit and re-encrypt saves and then share it
    gateway mentioned, they are working on their save system, maybe future updates will make it possible, for now you can't use your .3ds rom save on a .3dz rom

MarkDarkness likes this.
  4. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    The only way to do this is if you dumped your rom yourself

5. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Any updates on this?

How can you get online and still re-use your old save data from the .3ds format?

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    still not possible.

Wait for a gateway release with Savegame feature in its changelog.
    or wait for hackers/developers to release homebrew or a method to decrypt/re-encrypt savegames.

7. sALMAn84

sALMAn84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    Malaysia
    I'm using MT-Card sav to zav function to convert save from no header .3ds rom to be able to play with .3dz.

8. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    There's a computer tool to do it, or only using the launcher.dat from MT-Card, or does it require MT-Card's flashcart?

A tutorial would be useful for lot of users.

9. sALMAn84

sALMAn84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    Malaysia
    Using launcher v2.3 from MT-Card and choose either SAV TO ZAV or ZAV TO SAV to convert .3ds rom save or 3dz rom save. BUT you need MT-Card for this to work because it needs to access your micro SD Card where the roms is.

*I'm testing it using save .3ds from Gateway without header and rename the save from SAV to ZAV, when loading the .3dz game it says the save file is corrupted and erase the save file. After that I try using MT-Card launcher v2.3 to convert from SAV TO ZAV and start loading the .3dz game, it load the save file fine. I just own MT-Card not Gateway but I can use save file from Gateway :yaysp:.

10. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Can't you use savedatafiler to extract the save from the .3ds file, convert it, then import the save file back into the .3dz?

11. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    I imagine that will only work for CARD2 games. However, I believe I've heard of a way to convert CARD1 to CARD2, so it may be possible through that.

12. fabiobad

fabiobad Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 1, 2010
    Italy
    Is this process still not possible?
    I have a Gateway, thanks.