Hacking How to block Updates on 5.05?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
probably use the update blocker, use a wifi stick, or block the url's on the router or via a proxy. I'm using the last one.

Oemmi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok thanks!

I followed this guide:

It uses two DNS IP's to block the Update:

That worked for me :)

Reactions: godreborn

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or just ftp in and place a fake <1mb update file there to prevent it, just like the blocker do.

The files that it creates are two and could be empty, the only important thing is the path, so you can also create directories with those names (in previous HEN implementations every time the exploit is run the two paths below are deleted and recreated with mkdir):

Code:
/update/PS4UPDATE.PUP
/update/PS4UPDATE.PUP.net.temp

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They are folders because it's "easier" (usually one syscall instead of two ^__^) to create a directory than an empty file and you can't have a file and a dir with the same path, but on an inode based filesystem everything is a file.

If you look at Vortex implementation (https://github.com/xvortex/ps4-hen-vtx/blob/master/installer/source/main.c)
the function patch_update at line 113 the two unlink syscalls delete the two files/dirs defined above in the code, followed by the creation of the two directory (mkdir) with the same path.

Reactions: jmrodrigues

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.