How safe is it to hack the 3ds nowadays?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Zacruz, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Zacruz
    OP

Zacruz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    Ive heard about nintendo being on a crusade against roms and hacks. Is it safe to hack the 3ds nowadays?

2. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    Define safe

3. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    C-137
    probably legality due to the mention of Nintendo's crusade. And my response is: if you think is..then go right ahead. If you don't then don't do it.

We're not going to be your moral compass. There's an unspoken rule about piracy here that it goes without saying. We don't need to know what faction you are

Last edited by stanleyopar2000, Aug 24, 2018
    Ryccardo and Itzumi like this.
  4. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Hacking the 3DS is totally safe. Ninty is just against piracy.

zacchi4k likes this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Safer than petting a two legged cat.

zacchi4k and Itzumi like this.
  6. AlexanderLS

AlexanderLS GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    As long you follow every step of https://3ds.hacks.guide/ it's safe.
    If you try to do it following some random youtube video or some other guide, you'll likely be back here crying to us about your brick.

Hacking your console is still better than leaving it unhacked. You can run homebrew apps and emulators. Also, hacking your console will allow you to install CIAs if you want to pirate games.

zacchi4k likes this.
  7. Zacruz
    OP

Zacruz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    Op here. Safe as in not getting my system bricked.

8. NFates

NFates Wants to understand™

Mar 13, 2016
    Dominican Republic
    Probably home.
    Yeah that won't happen as long as you pay attention and think things through. The guide AlexanderLS sent is what everyone recommends, and boot9strap is so safe you can recover from almost everything.

Last edited by NFates, Aug 25, 2018
  9. lukepc

lukepc Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2018
    United States
    Definitely safe. Make sure to use 3ds.hacks.guide and follow all of the instructions carefully. Boot9strap made everything a whole lot safer and there's very low chance of bricking. Even if you did happen to brick, it's most likely recoverable.

Itzumi likes this.
  10. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    It's safe...................as long as you throw your localfriendcodeseed_b off to the side to prevent getting your unique seed banned

Itzumi likes this.
  11. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    cant brick unless you try to or your doing stupendously stupid stuff

12. 98otiss

98otiss bi furry fuck

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    It's really safe (and stable...) you won't brick unless you are an idiot and dont use eshop/freeshop as downloading games will flag you and you have a risk of a ban. Playing out of region titles risks a ban but its so unlikely. Don't cheat either. And if you are really too scared, you can either not hack your 3ds, or you can do it but stay offline. Piracy is safe if you install cias from the internet (like that iso site) instead of e/freeshop. I hacked my 3ds as well and theres nothing really bad about it. Theres more advantages than disadvantages. Well, I hoped I helped! Just remember to follow https://3ds.hacks.guide/ as its completely safe and its literally the bible to hacking ur 3ds. Don't follow video tutorials as they get quickly outdated and maybe even unsafe.

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Hacking the system itself is extremely safe nowadays and there's literally no risk of a brick happening*. Honestly I feel like it's safer now to have a hacked system because the benefits outweigh the risks. The exploits are installed so deep into the system that bricking becomes a near impossibility, coupled with the benefit of being able to unban yourself if you do get banned.
    As for legal issues. Unless you are extremely careless and pirating literally hundreds of games at a time, it's extremely unlikely that the Big N will go after you. They are going the sources providing the ROMs, not the people downloading them. Although if you going completely legal and just dumping your own games, then you are 100% safe from any legal issues.

*There has been no recorded legitimate bricks caused by any of the tools involved with installing B9S. There have only been issues attributed to user error.

14. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    In regards of bricking, i think the brick rate is 1 in a million. It's really hard to brick because the instructions are munched to the literal easiest thing, anyone can understand, even a newcomer in homebrew overall. If you're talking about piracy, it depends. It's illegal in most counties (if not all) but won't cause you a ban (unless you mess with the CDN). Some places can get you "sued" (if your internet provider detects you're downloading copyrighted content they give you a tax to pay? I'm unsure of how it works, but i think it's something like that.) but apart from that, everything is flowers. I don't think there's a reason not to hack your device. It really opens a lot of doors (and i think backups are legal, they could potentially only break Nintendo's ToS in regards of hacking your system to do it, but apart from that i think it's 100% legal or, at the very least, in a grey area.)

(I think i got massively Ninja'd. Anyways, hope it helped :P)

15. Zacruz
    OP

Zacruz Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2018
    United States
    Revisiting this thread, I wonder what localfriendcodeseed_b is?

16. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    it's a fancy console-unique file, ninty uses it to check if you're banned

for example, let's say you get your lcfs_b banned somehow. when you try going online, ninty checks the lcfs_b on your 3DS and goes "nope, ur b&"
    however, some people put theirs online and let other people use it if they got banned. these public lcfs_bs usually get banned sooner or later, but before that happens you can put one on a banned 3DS and ninty's servers will go "ok ur not banned now go & have fun"
    if you don't put yours online, ninty can't really detect hax and won't ban you.