How reliable is the R4 SDHC with savegame saving and loading?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by ianpwilliams, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ianpwilliams
    OP

Newcomer ianpwilliams Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have an R4 SDHC card with a 4GB micro SD. I was playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and quite far into the game, when I tried to load the savegame file it just kept saying "Load Failed". So I'm wondering if anyone else has any or knows of any general problems that the R4 SDHC card has with loading and saving savegame files? Does it happen quite often, or was I just unlucky? And if it does happen often, does it do it more often on certain games (and if so then is there a compatibility list?), or is it just a general thing? I bought the card for homebrew as much as anything (being able to play Chaos on my DS is so cool), and if there is a commercial game which I need to know will work properly then I will just buy it, like Civ Rev, and Rune Factory 2 which I'm also considering buying. Anyway it would be useful to know what people's opinions and thoughts are regarding saving and loading savegame files on the R4 SDHC. Thanks.

2. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    The whole 'R4' or anything related to it i.e. the clones are pretty crap.

your better off not having a Flashcart if your gonna have to buy an R4.

Yet, i hear its really random. I know people that have clones, and they literally work just as well as normal cards (the whole saving thing). It can also differ from game to game, yet i could have sworn that Phoenix Wright works, without any hickups (on other cards)...thus my conclusion about the R4 being crap. [​IMG]

3. ianpwilliams
    OP

United Kingdom
    Oh well, I've started backing up the saves now anyway, so hopefully that might help. I'd still be interested to hear people's experiences with the R4 SDHC though, good and bad.

4. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    Everyone is gonna bash you first, simply because you bought something that says R4 on it. It doesn't matter that this one is a damn good cart, they just will.

My R4i-SDHC has had 1 save corruption issue in 6 months, which happened while I was in-game on Chrono Trigger (just had to open the menu and save again to fix), but I've had the same happen on my retail Chrono Trigger cart. My brother's R4-SDHC hasn't had any save issues. You should still backup your saves to be safe.

5. ianpwilliams
    OP

United Kingdom
    Good to know, thanks! I'm sure it was just a blip anyway.

6. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    Some things I've noticed on my R4 SDHC:~

Phoenix Wright makes a corupted savegame (just like yours), GTA: CW doesn't want to save game unless you patch ARM7, Castlevania PoR freezes during gameplay (supposedly a MicroSD issue), Chrono Trigger doesn't work without cheats to bypass the anti-piracy check.

Some people have reported an issue with TWEWY where it freezes during an early cutscene, but I didn't have this problem & also some report freezes in FF3/4 but again the games work perfectly on my cart.

7. Geostar

Newcomer Geostar Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    CTW saves just fine on my R4i-SDHC!

8. ianpwilliams
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've heard that it can be down to which Micro SD card card you have more than which R4 card you have, which would explain why different people get different results.