How often do you turn your PC off?

noctis90210

Trophies
XP
Country
my laptop also runs 24/7... im downloading bluray isos, usually i just turn it of once evey month or if theres a maintenance...

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Both my gaming desktop PC and my server are on 24/7. I seed torrents like fuck and stream my shit to all my devices with Plex, and my server is hosting a bunch of my sites and servers.
Never turn off my laptops either, just close the lid.

Last edited by Shadowfied,
Reactions: noctis90210

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it needs to be updated then I'll restart it.
I mostly just leave it on, though. Especially if I'm downloading something.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
my server has been running for almost 9 months now since last shut down.
i use my workstation only when i actually need it for capturing videos, rendering stuff or anything else my laptop isn't capable of doing.
my laptop is only shut down when i'm sleeping or away for more than an hour

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
As soon as I leave the room I turn it off my PC/laptop. There is exceptions to rule, like if I am torrenting or not.

I am certain that leaving PC's powered on for days on end is electrical torture.

My parents never turn off PC's and for some reason they can never make a computer last more than 2 years without complete hardware failure.

My desktop i built 5 years ago is still going strong. Coincidence?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
As soon as I leave the room I turn it off my PC/laptop. There is exceptions to rule, like if I am torrenting or not.

I am certain that leaving PC's powered on for days on end is electrical torture.

My parents never turn off PC's and for some reason they can never make a computer last more than 2 years without complete hardware failure.

That might explain why my old laptop from 2008 still works hahaha

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country

I disagree. My desktop has been running almost 24/7 for 4 years now and it's still going strong.

And what about servers? A server run in a home is usually just a standard PC, but why are they ok running 24/7 and not a gaming PC? It's not like people are gonna leave their games on 24/7.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I disagree. My desktop has been running almost 24/7 for 4 years now and it's still going strong.

And what about servers? A server run in a home is usually just a standard PC, but why are they ok running 24/7 and not a gaming PC? It's not like people are gonna leave their games on 24/7.

My old desktop lasted for 5 years being on 90% of the day too. It died because my dad was too ignorant and didn't allow me to open it up and clean the dust, so it just randomly caught fire one day. ( No damage done to the house, I just rushed to turn it off, heck, even most internal stuff is fine, like the hard drive and the motherboard also looks fine ).

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I always shut my desktop down when I leave for the night. When I leave for like maybe 1-2 hours, I leave it on. I do leave my laptop on a lot, but I tend to forget to charge it so most of the time it's barely alive when I come back to use it. I don't know if it can do any harm if it is cooled properly.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Every tuesday night, because that's when Black Desert does its maintenance. Otherwise I keep it on all the time.

Coincidence?
Yeah probably. My PC has been on for a tremendous amount of hours since I got it around 4 or so years ago and it's still perfectly fine.
Obviously turning it off is better for it, but you wont shorten the lifespan to such an extreme extent. The parts are more likely to become obsolete before they break these days.

A well ventilated case helps, I suppose. I have a beast of a case with a bunch of fans and liquid cooling. That probably helps a fair bit.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
Electronics fail when receiving a flux, power on or power off.

Unless there is another failure like a fan failing causeing overheating etc, that will generally be the fail. Even then the fan causing that deviation is mostly supported by the same principle, it failed on poweron or off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I shut mine down when I'm done with it. If I was to leave it on my power bill would be insane lol
For a pc... ok then, you must have had a hard time before globes changed standard by law....

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Electronics fail when receiving a flux, power on or power off.

Unless there is another failure like a fan failing causeing overheating etc, that will generally be the fail. Even then the fan causing that deviation is mostly supported by the same principle, it failed on poweron or off.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For a pc... ok then, you must have had a hard time before globes changed standard by law....
I did a test last month and didn't use my PC at all. Wanted to see just how much the bill would drop. Went from $100 to $55, So almost cut in half. Last thing I need is a $200 power bill every month.

tivanh

Trophies
XP
Country
I did a test last month and didn't use my PC at all. Wanted to see just how much the bill would drop. Went from $100 to $55, So almost cut in half. Last thing I need is a $200 power bill every month.
So you isolated the usage drawn from the pc with a mater and took its value for the period from the bill?

Or you tried to keep variences in normal comsumption down with the pc off. See where you couldbe wrong?

Universities and other institutes keep theirs on for many reasons, cost is one, but you tainted experiment knows better....

Nevermind...

Reactions: Shadowfied

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you isolated the usage drawn from the pc with a mater and took its value for the period from the bill?

Or you tried to keep variences in normal comsumption down with the pc off. See where you couldbe wrong?

Universities and other institutes keep theirs on for many reasons, cost is one, but you tainted experiment knows better....

Nevermind...
I kept usage of everything else the same and just left the pc off. I figured it would go down some but didn't expect it to go down by almost half. You can spout off whatever you want it doesn't change what happened.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I turn it off whenever I feel like it. Bootup times are not an issue for me as I have an SSD so I see no point leaving it on unless I am running a server on it at the moment.

Reactions: pbanj

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I turned them off when I don't use them. Why enhance my powerbill more than it have too? :P
My tiny server on the other hand is on 24/7 since, it's a server

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh