Gaming How Often Do YOU Turn off your computer?

How often do you turn off your computer?

• Always, it may break/I save energy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to Hibernate

• Standby is good enough for me

• I don't do it much, i have downloads running

• There's a POWER button??!!

• I just log off and leave it running

• Total voters

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
I rarely ever turn off my computer. I leave it idling throughout the night.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of blue-screens and fatal system errors, though so the computer is shutting off/restarting by itself.
Same here on the Blue Screens, but it has slowly stopped happening since i put it on standby for most of the time

Is there a way to leave your downloads running, and have your computer in a low power state at the same time?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
I rarely ever turn off my computer. I leave it idling throughout the night.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of blue-screens and fatal system errors, though so the computer is shutting off/restarting by itself.
Might want to test your hardware (video and RAM are the most likely culprits).

QUOTE(idulkoan @ Mar 20 2011, 09:24 PM) Is there a way to leave your downloads running, and have your computer in a low power state at the same time?
Sadly no (to the best of my knowledge)... I've looked.
Best thing I've found is a NAS system or a low power PC that is always on -- make it a headless box (no monitor) and use remote desktop to access it to save more power.

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Gosh so much waste of energy.

I turn it off wherever I go to sleep, or I leave the computer for long time, I leave it on when Im downloading stuff but never on night.

And I don't use battery except when im moving the computer somewhere else, so I don't get affected by the lifespawn stuff.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Garro said:
Gosh so much waste of energy.

I turn it off wherever I go to sleep, or I leave the computer for long time, I leave it on when Im downloading stuff but never on night.

And I don't use battery except when im moving the computer somewhere else, so I don't get affected by the lifespawn stuff.
Your battery still drains while it's not active, and it's lifespan does shorten as well.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So when you guys download you idle it?
And when you guys just leave it for some time you put it on sleep?

I always thought it's better to turn the pc off when not in use
tongue.gif

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:

tongue.gif
So I WAS doing the right thing all along by being too lazy to shutdown the computer? Standby keeps it in good condition? Wow... lol I didn't turn it off because I like to have to available, and it takes too long to log in because it gets and transfers files to and from our server.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PC has a mind of it's own, it can't decided if it wants' to be on or off.

Or if it wants to blue screen for no reason

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
lolzed said:

tongue.gif
So I WAS doing the right thing all along by being too lazy to shutdown the computer? Standby keeps it in good condition? Wow... lol I didn't turn it off because I like to have to available, and it takes too long to log in because it gets and transfers files to and from our server.
I never really said it was the right thing,I only thought it was...but seeing the posts here made me think twice
tongue.gif
(can someone explain for me lol)

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just leave my primary laptop running 24/7 unless, I'm going to the uni, then It goes into hibernate. while in the bag. My old laptop, I turn on once a month to update, and my netbook, whenever I use it, it goes on, otherwise off.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
idulkoan said:
lolzed said:

tongue.gif
The thing is... when you turn the PC on, power surges through the system.
While the system is on, it generates heat that causes parts to expand, when powered off it cools down. Heating up and cooling down (especially frequently) causes what is known as 'board creep' where parts will push out away from eachother, sometimes simply seating the cards back in solves any issue, but it can cause poor connections which could possibly cause short circuits.
This is all in the extreme, but it's possible.

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
idulkoan said:
lolzed said:

tongue.gif
The thing is... when you turn the PC on, power surges through the system.
While the system is on, it generates heat that causes parts to expand, when powered off it cools down. Heating up and cooling down (especially frequently) causes what is known as 'board creep' where parts will push out away from eachother, sometimes simply seating the cards back in solves any issue, but it can cause poor connections which could possibly cause short circuits.
This is all in the extreme, but it's possible.
Oh... Well I open up this computer at least once in 2-3 months, so it shuld be good, right? (to put parts in, take parts out, etc and while i do that, i can check for loose parts)

idulkoan

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
dslitehacks.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
3 -> 5 times a week i'd say .
sometimes i am off downloading things , so i usually overnight it , then right before i leave for school , i turn it off .
How long does it take to start your computer? For me to login, it takes about 6-12 mins, since it has to exchange stuff with our server

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I leave it on until I go to bed, even if I'm not using it at the moment (never know when I might need to use it again, so...) But sometimes I accidentally fall asleep and leave the computer on. X_X

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My private Minecraft/Linux server is always on.
My laptop is usually on except when I'm carrying it around for travel or whatever. Or when I leave it on and unplugged and it goes into hibernate.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
idulkoan said:
Splych said:
3 -> 5 times a week i'd say .
sometimes i am off downloading things , so i usually overnight it , then right before i leave for school , i turn it off .
How long does it take to start your computer? For me to login, it takes about 6-12 mins, since it has to exchange stuff with our server
i'd say 1min >
my main OS is on a WD Caviar Black 500GB and the only programs that startup is Windows Live Messenger + Steam + AV .
btw , this isn't one of those comps that are made , i actually bought the parts and assembled it
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou