Hardware How much noise does your Wii make

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm kind of worried. My Wii has been making TONS of noise.

When first popping in Smash DVD9, it makes two loud clicking buzzes as it loads the disc. Then when I start the game it buzzes and it buzzes a lot when loading the intro as well. It will not stop making noise when it's at the title screen.

In the game, it buzzes and clicks as it loads games like the DVD5 version.

When I opened up the Wii I found out that the buzzing noises are primarily caused by the laser moving back and forth to read the disc.

So turn on your Wii and listen to the noises Smash Bros makes... is it similar to my descriptions or do I just have a faulty Wii?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mine is making noise too.
I've a DMS chipset (I don't know if it's related).

A friend of mine spotted his Wii is not making that much noise and he have a D2B.

Maybe the laser rails is a different models.

Edit :
it's with many games, not only one (I don't have SSBB yet)

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mine is a DMS Wii as well, launch day.
frown.gif

InternHertz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah DMS wii from launch day, it's making a loud click (more like "SHTING") when a game is inserted.
(Also, my wii is rejecting games quite often...I have to do something odd with the disc to get it accepted when it happens)

Algot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My launch day Wii makes lots of noise when I have original discs in it..
I am quite certen that its depends on the disk is in contact with somting in the wii drive.. (tighten the screws that holds the DVD drive helped a bit)
The original discs have a Rougher surface, I thik thats way only these discs makes lots of noise. The Wii Sports disc is not that rugh tho (and therfore not making noise)

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my d2b is occasionally loud when the laser tracks back and forth, though i think that's directly related to the cheapness of the disc in use.

TehLink

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure it's not faulty as mine does the same thing with my SSBB DVD9 and a lot of other backups. Oh and it also does it on originals, it's pretty much a weird problem in the first Wiis

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My launch Wii (Wiikey) makes a low humming noise when playing backups but they all work flawlessly. When I insert an original disc, the Wii spins *much* faster and as a result, the noise is around twice as loud..Loud to the point where it's actually quite an annoyance. But again, all the retail games work perfect.

The only concern with this is that there's more friction than necessary somewhere when the disc is spinning that could result in the premature death of my battle-tested Wii.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, any more opinions? Insert Brawl, turn the volume all the way down, and let it get to the menu. Any clicking or buzzing while the game is loading?

olo567

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii (D2A) and my brother's (D2B) both make that noise when reading Brawl. It is annoying, but I doubt it's anything bad. A lot of data to load, tougher to read even the first layer than it would be on just a single layer disc.

coolbho3000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think so. It's the way Brawl is structured. Most of my other "copy" discs read without a hitch yet all my backups of Brawl are this loud.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, my launch day Wii is making those obnoxious sounds too. And it's especially obvious during Brawl, most likely because of the loading times on a DL disk. Anyone have a fix?

Scoobos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bully has been the worst for me.

Bottom line is that its TOC'ing loads, maybe by design in the launch day Wiis, mine does it with originals but backups are generally worse (I have originals for some of the USA games I got pre PAL release, and the originals are noticably better, but still loud at times).

If your Wii DVD motor dies out, then buy a new one, a lot of thieves on here will have not spent money on a game for months . (E.G I reckon 80% WONT buy SSBB)

lucifer69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about this but I think my WII got louder the day I updated my wiikey to version 1.9. To answer your question my wii is incredibly loud. It's even louder then my old dreamcast. It anyone owned one of those you'll know what I'm talking about

romrocha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
oohh man my wii is making this sux sound too... in Bully this sound is horrible and do it any time in game... SSB do it too and one more heroes at running with bike around.... how i can fix it?? MY wii is a D2C bought in february and have a Wasabi installed yesterday... my wii is dying?? i really need help because in my country only have dummies...

Thks and sorry about english...

Ahh i will make a video of my wii running Bully... its same horrible sound ... like a old printer...

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's not my wee that makes the noise ... it's me ... you'd yell, too ... that stuff burns, kid ... I need me some cranberry juice, or somethin' ...

Seriously though, mine is a launch Wii, and I was expecting it to be noisier by now. It's pretty damn quite, to be honest.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction