1. Nobody_Important4u

OP Nobody_Important4u Barely real
    Banned

Poland
    I frequently see people saying that they can't cook and in media bad cooking is a popular trope, and it got me wondering about statistics because it's not really that hard, just follow the damm book at first and don't be an idiot and eventually you can even do more complex stuff without a book.

I find it rather enjoyable but i don't do it very often because my mother complains about it (not because it's bad but because she is an annoying witch and she doesn't like food unless she makes it herself). My food is quite good but i often stick to pasta because it's easy and fast to make and i like it anyway but i can do more complicated stuff too.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    It looks worse than it tastes, but really though - I enjoy eating what I cook.

3. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Usually looks like crap, is bad for me and tastes ok.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    I try my best but I seem to live by the rule of once the smoke alarm goes off then the food is ready :rofl2:

5. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
    Global Moderator

United States
    I think my cooking tends to be pretty decent. I've made some incredibly delicious dishes (al-pastor style tacos and carnitas tacos being two of my favorites) and I've gotten rave reviews on my baked mac and cheese, to the point where it's expected that I bring a tray or two to any kind of party I'm going to with my friends.

Similar to OP I never had much of a chance to cook up until about two years ago, because my mom kept the fridge stockpiled with just... stuff. Some of which wasn't good, some of which nobody really wanted to eat or cook with, and god forbid you touch any of it. I got yelled at for putting a tub of ice cream in the freezer once because it took up space. I moved out on my own at 26 and am 28 now so I've only really been cooking for 2ish years.

If you've got some money to put into kitchen gadgets, an instant pot (or any electric pressure cooker) is incredibly versatile and great for one-pot meals; a sous vide cooker, vacuum sealer, and some kind of vessel to store the water (there's good food buckets you can use for it, alternatively a biiig deep pot can work as well if you've already got one) can be an incredible way to cook meat.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

i know very few recipes, but the few i know i consider myself pretty good at, today i made homemade burgers, the tomato looks a bit bigger than it is but its like a 1 cm slice. pd: while flavor wise its great, i often make a mess of the kitchen, mostly when i make fries

Attached Files:

Last edited Aug 30, 2020
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I can follow a recipe, it's not hard, but coming up with my own dishes is difficult. Even just deciding what toppings (and how much) to put on a pizza I seem to mess up as it always ends up bland and soggy.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Was taught to make things since I was young. Had access to sharp knives, fire and oven since before I could plausibly reach the worktop without a stepping stool -- sliced and burned myself a few times, learned not to as a result, same applied to the mechanical tools I was given at the same time.

I struggle to do baking by eye and have to measure my ingredients there (being from Europe I do use weights rather than volumes). Others I know can accurately do it by eye and get good results, for things they in turn expect to sell even.
    I will however usually figure out good baking substitutions in things or adaptations. Some consider that hard but I have always been taught it and to consider what the ingredient does within something so that might be one of those self imposed mental blocks some have similar to when someone says calculus to a US based maths student.
    I can do decorative baking (cutting a cake into the shape of a donkey or whatever some kid wants is no different to cutting a piece of sheet metal/carving a bit of wood to make a decorative sign or something in the broader of strokes) but dislike it. Tasty is better than pretty for most of my purposes.

Cooking wise. That I can do by eye. Will usually make things from scratch if want to -- it is cheaper and tastier*, and if you do it right then quicker as well (and I am all about quicker). Can look at what I have in the fridge and cupboard and figure out things without running off to a cook book.

*other day I did a shepherd's pie with actual lamb mince (most people, including me 95% of the time, use beef mince which technically makes it a cottage pie) and could do decadent things like make the mashed potato topping with evaporated milk, cheese and butter because it is tasty, though I will note the evaporated milk was more because I had some open in the fridge.

alexander1970 and Sicklyboy like this.
  9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    I'm pretty good at cooking, seeing how I'm basically the only one who does it in the house. I can follow recipes pretty well or just eyeball stuff if I have to. Steaks are my favorite thing to cook (and eat :P), and Italian dishes are my jam as well (one day I need to take up making my own pasta). I also make half-decent Mexican food, according to my wife :lol:. I think one day I'd love to go to culinary school and get serious about it, if IT stuff ever kinda bombs on me.

Getting moderately better at baking as well. When I first started baking seriously some 6-7 years ago I was fucking awful at it, but I watched a lot of cooking shows and learned a good amount and can bake most things fairly well. I can bake decent breads (want to try making Sourdough at some point), cookies, brownies especially well, cakes occasionally, cheesecake reasonably well, I tried bagels once, biscuits etc. I think the only thing I haven't baked homemade really have been pies for the most part, beyond perhaps a pumpkin pie (but I was lazy and used premade filling and crust so it doesn't count >.>).

CallmeBerto and alexander1970 like this.
  10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat Dev and Gameboy Modder
    Developer

United States
    I'm generally pretty good at cooking simple to medium-complex dishes. I also love to experiment with different sauces, herbs, and spices. Sometimes I'll accidentally make something amazing, but I very rarely ever make something my family won't eat. We all (mostly) like the same foods.

11. alexander1970

Austria
    I think my cooking Skills are not that bad. icecream.gif

But when it comes to make some Pictures of the Results...hmm.....maybe that Skill is really awful....
    ..or my Camera refuses to take this up.

12. m3inard

m3inard GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    i can do basic frying!:D

13. DinohScene

DinohScene hail p1ngpong

Antarctica
    I can't cook and tbf I can't be bothered with it.
    To much effort.

14. AtsuNii

AtsuNii AtsuNii's New Beginnings

Antarctica
    I think I can say I'm good at cooking. When I work, I work as a cook in restaurants or cafés. I just love to make people happy with a good meal and love to just make the meal. To see it being cooked, grilled, baked, fried or w/e to perfection. My presentation is a bit shit for restaurant standards, but the taste is good according to plenty of people.

I also love to come up with new recipes, which usually end up being a pretty good meal.

For the most experienced person with my food, ask @DinohScene

15. alexander1970

Austria
    Ok,that explains all.... icecream.gif

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

AtsuNii likes this.
  16. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I make a mean hot pocket

17. O_d-esk

O_d-esk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    i like food its so good

18. spotanjo3

spotanjo3 GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I am a good cooker. My roommate enjoyed my cooking. He don't know how, lol. I learned a lot by watching my mom and sometimes my dad's cooking. So I can do that on my own in my own apartment. Go out to eat everyday without knowing how to cook is not a good thing. You should appreciate the cooking. It is a gift for everyone.

Many men would married for the wrong reason: Sex and woman's cooking for men. What a coward. and those men are not a man at all. SMH!

Last edited by spotanjo3, Aug 31, 2020
  19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".
    Former Staff

Croatia
    My cooking is... eh, I guess you won't die of it? At least not immediately.
    I've fallen horribly out of practice with my cooking, to the point where I can't even make pancakes.
    You'd think cooking was like riding a bike, something you never forget.
    You would be wrong.
    I can still chop and slice and dice and cut and fillet and stuff, but cooking... I burn water.

20. Chains

Chains GBAtemp Drifter
    Banned

United States
    Well, I can make a 4 minute instant ramen under 3 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - cooking,