Homebrew Discussion How is Switchroot Android these days?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember everyone getting hyped AF for this back when it came out...and had issues with analog sticks (particularly the joy-cons) registering as 8-way as opposed to full motion, the load/boot times being shit unless you paid for a higher grade MicroSD card, and various other random issues that put me off from sacrificing an SD card as subsequent updates required new flashes. All this being said, have these issues been fixed, and how does Switchroot stack against Ubuntu-L4T and homebrew on Horizon nowadays?

HappehLemons

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The JoyCons have been fixed. It's still a bit of a buggy experience in my testing. Depends on what you're willing to deal with to be honest. It works well from most reports, but the Pie update (Hopefully coming soon) will fix most issues so it might be worth waiting for that.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I remember everyone getting hyped AF for this back when it came out...and had issues with analog sticks (particularly the joy-cons) registering as 8-way as opposed to full motion, the load/boot times being shit unless you paid for a higher grade MicroSD card, and various other random issues that put me off from sacrificing an SD card as subsequent updates required new flashes. All this being said, have these issues been fixed, and how does Switchroot stack against Ubuntu-L4T and homebrew on Horizon nowadays?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You need a reasonably decent sd card, but as an all round emulation option its very solid.
I can’t say for sure(because i havent tested the MMJ emulator that people claim has the best performance for Dolphin), but below wii emulation/gamecube in my experience it has the best compatibility/coverage of options available with good performance.
Pros
*Citra now runs very well around 95-100% speed using quick battery profile ocarina of time
(the early horizon builds even better :P)
*only playstation core with dynarec(way faster than alternatives)
*ds emulation is unmatched by other options
*dreamcast-redream seems better than reicast(horizon & lakka)
*mupen64 standalone emulator with many more options HD texture replacers(banjo tooie outperforms even lakka, because lakka even though full fps stutters for some reason :P)
*saturn emulation best option
*best ppsspp emulation option

Cons
*Gamecube & wii games get higher fps in ubuntu & lakka
*Battery drains much faster than horizon(comparable to lakka)
*no deep sleep mode
*Joycons need to be removed to sync and play in handheld
*needs a reasonable SD card with decent space
*can take a while too boot up

All in all though it depends on your preferences and what you want to emulate . I do suggest trying a different sd card if your first takes forever to run
apps or boot because the difference between my 1st and 2nd was definately noticable.

Last edited by Basketto,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need a reasonably decent sd card, but as an all round emulation option its very solid.
I can’t say for sure(because i havent tested the MMJ emulator that people claim has the best performance for Dolphin), but below wii emulation/gamecube in my experience it has the best compatibility/coverage of options available with good performance.
Pros
*Citra now runs very well around 95-100% speed using quick battery profile ocarina of time
(the early horizon builds even better :P)
*only playstation core with dynarec(way faster than alternatives)
*ds emulation is unmatched by other options
*dreamcast-redream seems better than reicast(horizon & lakka)
*mupen64 standalone emulator with many more options HD texture replacers(banjo tooie outperforms even lakka, because lakka even though full fps stutters for some reason :P)
*saturn emulation best option
*best ppsspp emulation option

Cons
*Gamecube & wii games get higher fps in ubuntu & lakka
*Battery drains much faster than horizon(comparable to lakka)
*no deep sleep mode
*Joycons need to be removed to sync and play in handheld
*needs a reasonable SD card with decent space
*can take a while too boot up

All in all though it depends on your preferences and what you want to emulate . I do suggest trying a different sd card if your first takes forever to run
apps or boot because the difference between my 1st and 2nd was definately noticable.

You say, "no deep sleep mode." So, it has a sleep mode, but if left in sleep for too long, what happens to the Switch? Does it get bricked?

And how much space would you say it eats up with a 256GB microSD card?

I take it that GC emulation, let alone Wii emulation is, as I've been saying for a while, merely an experiment, and not something really suited to run on the Switch?

And as for the battery life...

1. I've been planning on getting a battery pack for my hacked Switch for a while.

2. This lockdown has put a damper on doing anything outside.

3. Because of the above two, I have to ask: does switchroot support the dock? Or is dock support persona non grata like it is with lakka?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You say, "no deep sleep mode." So, it has a sleep mode, but if left in sleep for too long, what happens to the Switch? Does it get bricked?

And how much space would you say it eats up with a 256GB microSD card?

I take it that GC emulation, let alone Wii emulation is, as I've been saying for a while, merely an experiment, and not something really suited to run on the Switch?

And as for the battery life...

1. I've been planning on getting a battery pack for my hacked Switch for a while.

2. This lockdown has put a damper on doing anything outside.

3. Because of the above two, I have to ask: does switchroot support the dock? Or is dock support persona non grata like it is with lakka?

*Switchroot wont brick in sleep & wakes up fine ;), just drains faster in sleep than horizon
*Supports dock
*can connect wireless controllers
*Gamecube can get decent fps on a good few games with pretty large overclocks some run full speed, Wii has very very few. Mario sunshine is close and megaman games can run 100% off the top of my head. PAL is advised over NTSC because target fps is lower for GC games.
*You choose the space you want to allocate for android, flashed image variants are 16g, 32g, 64g, 128g.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Switchroot wont brick in sleep & wakes up fine ;), just drains faster in sleep than horizon
*Supports dock
*can connect wireless controllers
*Gamecube can get decent fps on a good few games with pretty large overclocks some run full speed, Wii has very very few. Mario sunshine is close and megaman games can run 100% off the top of my head. PAL is advised over NTSC because target fps is lower for GC games.
*You choose the space you want to allocate for android, flashed image variants are 16g, 32g, 64g, 128g.

Wait, they still don't have anything for above MicroSD cards above 128GBs!?

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I suppose you could resize the share after flashing, but corruption is likely to happen because Android assigns blocks for each system partition, user, recovery in one. But try with the 16GB and resize up to the remaining space if Lineage is corrupted or not ... This is the flash file that corrects the Joy-Con's https://download.switchroot.org/android/extras/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill