• Replies 59

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It sounds like this playable 8 characters was done wrong from a storytelling perspective.

They should have instead just started the game mid-conversation or combat with all 8 of them, then they sit down and re-call/re-tell each other's backstories, maybe split over 2 chapters at decent times within the story rather than give this illusion of choice to us. gamers are too smart these days .
Actually real gamers don't need the story when a game is this enjoyable.
Story line stuff is usually pitched by people that need to identify with characters or that can not phantom enough imagination to fill in the blanks..

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Story line stuff is usually pitched by people that need to identify with characters or that can not phantom enough imagination to fill in the blanks..
Real gamers don't need games, they just use their imagination to play imaginary games in their head.

Benni

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not big into RPG games at all (at least not MODERN RPGs), but if you played RPGs back in the SNES days, you would LOVE it....I highly recommend it. I got the XCI file 2 days before release, however, I had the Wayfarer's Edition on pre-order, despite pirating the game, I didn't cancel my pre-order, I had no problem paying full price for the game (and then some, btw, I love the soundtrack....it does NOT get old!)...I'm about 11 hours in...and STILL cannot manage to find a place that sells staff's :(...i'm sure its some place simple that i'm just overlooking....)

The town of ophilia, plus you can steal some

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah but the one you chose at the beginning can't be swapped out
I think if you complete your mains story line you can then swap them out.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay I'm a bit more than 20 hours in, first chars in chapter 4 and I must say it gets a bit old now. It's always the same. Go to city, do five minutes of backstory activity, get to dungeon, beat boss, rinse and repeat 32 times. Absolutely no interaction between the chars, it seems as if the party is thrown together randomly.

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I'm a bit more than 20 hours in, first chars in chapter 4 and I must say it gets a bit old now. It's always the same. Go to city, do five minutes of backstory activity, get to dungeon, beat boss, rinse and repeat 32 times. Absolutely no interaction between the chars, it seems as if the party is thrown together randomly.
Damn, what a drag. Every time I think of multiple characters in a party/multie parties, I think of Final Fatasy III (FF6 in Japan). That was a good example of how to do multiple parties in an entertaining way.

Just my opinion...

Last edited by XC-3730C,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't agree with you more. Videogame stories are usually dumb as hell. When it's the RIGHT kind of dumb ala Metal Gear then it's good.

Reactions: Athlon-pv

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm almost finished now (3 parts left) and I have to force myself through it. It's so boring and repetitive at the end. I was all over this game at the beginning but after almost having finished it, I'd rate it 75%, maybe 80 tops.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm almost finished now (3 parts left) and I have to force myself through it. It's so boring and repetitive at the end. I was all over this game at the beginning but after almost having finished it, I'd rate it 75%, maybe 80 tops.

I haven't even finished all the chapters on my 1st team and I'm still enjoying myself.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't even finished all the chapters on my 1st team and I'm still enjoying myself.
Yeah, I enjoyed it through the first two or three chapters as well, but there's just not enough variety in the game, it's just more of the same with every chapter. I know it was communicated before that there is no big bad or that the stories join together at some point, but that's just really badly executed. There were so many possibilities to do that somehow, with 8 characters, but there's like zero interaction between them. I know there's a secret post game dungeon, that shows a wall of text trying to explain how things are connected, but that's not enough in my opinion. Appears like a poor excuse to somehow create a connection.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just bought myself a Switch and was looking at that but I decided to get Nights of Azure 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 instead. Octopath looked like it was gonna be a collection really short games based on the description on the case. Maybe I'll pick it up at a later date. Kirby Star Allies, and some JRPGs (possibly including this) are on my list.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I enjoyed it through the first two or three chapters as well, but there's just not enough variety in the game, it's just more of the same with every chapter. I know it was communicated before that there is no big bad or that the stories join together at some point, but that's just really badly executed. There were so many possibilities to do that somehow, with 8 characters, but there's like zero interaction between them. I know there's a secret post game dungeon, that shows a wall of text trying to explain how things are connected, but that's not enough in my opinion. Appears like a poor excuse to somehow create a connection.
It is all explained once you killed the end boss :)
Meanwhile there some extra bosses to kill for getting those 4 jobs well now only 3.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
sounds like a traditional rpg all right that's pretty much what they are all like even back from the snes. reading all the comments in here sounds like i dodged a bullet. soon as i heard it was turned based rpg nah i'm pretty much over and done with that a long time ago.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
Couldn't agree with you more. Videogame stories are usually dumb as hell. When it's the RIGHT kind of dumb ala Metal Gear then it's good.
Meh not always true, the last of us got me there.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never tried them but I'm aware of their popularity but I have my opinions on it that would get me shot by the fans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m