How hard is modding a 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Link5084, Sep 30, 2008.

Sep 30, 2008

How hard is modding a 360? by Link5084 at 4:11 AM (1,416 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Link5084
    OP

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

United States
    Since there's no way to softmod it, I'm scared to try and mod it myself. How hard is it to mod it?

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You do softmod it , it's a firmware flash. Apart from the lite-on drive , it isn't hard to do.

3. Fyrex

Newcomer Fyrex Member

United States
    Yes, it's very very easy and inexpensive to have your 360 modded. I have mine modded and it's great.

4. Osaka

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    why would soft modding be inexpensive? wouldn't it be free aside from like a burned disk?

5. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Well, not everybody has onboard SATA port that works on 360 drives.
    So "potentially" not free.

6. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It isn't hard at all. There is various guides about the internet to help you.

7. Link5084
    OP

United States
    I'm just afraid if I screw up then my 360 will be toast. Do I have to take apart the 360 at all? How much would it cost for the whole tutorial together?

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    To be safe, just buy this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815124022

All you do is open up your 360, you don't need to take it apart. Then you attach the DVD cable to this card, and flash the firmware.

"Costs

You will most likely have to spend a good amount of money in order to do this. Flashing the Xbox 360 firmware usually requires a specific SATA chipset, so if you don’t have a SATA chipset that is compatible for flashing your drive, you have to purchase a compatible PCI Sata card. Many people purchase the VIA VT6421 PCI SATA cards that usually cost around $20 USD. That is just for flashing the drive. In order to make game backups you need something to rip them with and something to burn them. First, let’s skip to burning. You’re going to need a DVD burner that can burn Double Layer DVD+R DL discs. You may also want to look into seeing if your burner supports something called “bitsetting” to DVD-ROM. A cheap, quality drive that automatically bitsets for you is the Pioneer 112D. You can find these online for around $40 USD. A burner isn’t going to do you any good without discs to burn them to. So get some DVD+R DL. My recommendation: use Verbatim brand discs, as they are the highest quality and you will not suffer from read errors if they are burned correctly. These discs, at the cheapest, will set you back around $2 USD a disc.

You may already have some of these, but if you have none of them, you’re looking at quite a bit of money. $20 USD for a SATA card, $40 USD for a burner, $40 USD for some DVD+R DL (assuming you want to backup 20 games). You have to ask yourself if it is worth it or not."

9. Link5084
    OP

United States
    What's a good DVD burner for the 360? The Pioneer 112D isn't sold anymore.

10. scaramonga

Newcomer scaramonga Newbie

United Kingdom
  11. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    THe Kreon drives wont burn DVDs just read 360 games so they can be dumped to a PC.