How hard is it for DSi mode?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Dionicio3, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Dionicio3
    OP

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I know this has been talked about a lot, but I'm still wondering, how hard is it for the DSTwo+ to run in DSi mode? I want this so I can use wifi without having to setup a guest network on my router with WEP security. Thanks!

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    DSi-Mode isn't too hard to get, but the issue with the DSTWO(+) is that we don't have access to the ROM header they use. That's the biggest issue with the accessing DSi-Mode, you need some kind of ROM header exploit. This was the method used by the CycloDS iEVO, which basically used two different ROM headers. One accessed DS-Mode, the other accessed DSi-Mode.
    There's a chance that someone could get around this, but no one's ever been interested in hacking DSi-Mode. Even when we could do so, so few were biting.

3. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Ah, ok, thanks for the info

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    SuperCard could probably do it if they were interested.
    For someone else to do it, they'd first have to reverse engineer how DSTWO firmware and firmware updates work in order to create their own firmware for it. Not an easy task.
    The way DSi mode works, it's not as simple as just replacing the DS header with a DSi header, I believe the iEvo actually exploited a game in order to run unsigned code (as DSi mode won't normally allow it), and had to include part of that game on the cart. And who knows if the DSTWO EOS would even work in DSi mode, since it's not designed for it.
    Even if it worked, only a limited number of DS games are DSi enhanced. If you force non-DSi enhanced games to run in DSi mode, wifi won't work at all. And DSi mode generally breaks homebrew that isn't DSi-aware. Because of this, it's of limited usefulness.

5. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Ok, thanks.

6. jaeman109

jaeman109 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2017
    United States
    You could use TWLoader

7. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    That's not the point of this thread

8. jaeman109

jaeman109 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 15, 2017
    United States
    Ok

9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yep, the biggest problem is that the DSi doesn't have a real operating system (not even a kernel or background process unlike the Wii), so every game has its own copy of the wifi drivers and setup tool, so getting it to run in DSi mode (actually possible for many original games at least with a 3DS and NTR Launcher) won't magically give it WPA and 11g support

10. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    I guess I worded the OP wrong, I want to use home brew in DSi mode, not actual games

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Oh, that's better; but not much better, because of the 3 existing ways to run DSi homebrew (iEvolution, DSiware exploits, Biggest Loser + DWM-015) each has different privileges, which seriously inconvenience compatibility...

The best way by far to run DSi homebrews is converting them to cia and running them on a modded 3DS (thus being able to freely set the permissions); which may or may not be also possible on a hardmodded DSi thanks to very recent developments

12. Dionicio3
    OP

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Ok, thanks