How "Hackable" is Flipnote Studio 3d?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TiM127, Oct 2, 2016.

1. TiM127
    OP

TiM127 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    United States
    I'm no hacker, and someone is probably gonna say everything I say in this post is impossible after the first few minutes of this being up, but Flipnote Studio just really seems "hackable" to me.

I can think of two logical ways FS 3d might be used as an exploit (if it's possible)

1. A primary exploit using the Nintendo DSI library that might/would be triggered by either changing the system's DNS before loading it, or by searching a special hacked Flipnote Studio ID. (Sort of like browserhax)

2. A secondary exploit where an already hacked 3ds wirelessly transfers a hacked flipnote file that when opened on the second 3ds, would open the Homebrew Launcher.

These might be complete bs, but these seem possible to me, and I don't think a FS 3d exploit has been made yet. How ridiculous is this?

2. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    A lot. cause first, to expoit something, you need to make the 3ds crash. if the app ever made the 3ds crash, it MAY be possible to hack it.

Dabu47, damiano2712 and TiM127 like this.
  3. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    These sound plausible, however you won't know unless you try it. I assume you have no knowledge of exploits so these probably won't happen.

TiM127 likes this.
  4. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    Stop. Here's what you do.

Stop making these threads. The end.

damiano2712, DaMan, Xiphiidae and 2 others like this.
  5. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    No. Don't tell people this. Seriously. This is the sort of thinking that gets others to think "I got it to crash, it can be exploited", when in 98 percent of cases, it's not possible.

Last edited by dubbz82, Oct 3, 2016
    Xiphiidae, Joom and dankzegriefer like this.
  6. Filo97

Filo97 Zelda's totally my sister! Not lying!

Oct 8, 2015
    Italy
    Hyrule Castle
    I said MAY

sniper_x002 and NEP like this.
  7. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    1: If it uses DSi functionality then this would solely lie in TWL, which wouldn't give us a primary exploit.

2: I imagine that there are sanitization checks in place, but then we'd need a malformed note to test this.