Hacking Question How fast are load times using a backup loader?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,290
  • Replies 38
D

Deleted User

OP
Currently I own physical copies of all my Switch games. Several YouTube videos I've seen claim that load times are fastest from internal memory, slowest from physical carts and SD cards are in the middle. How about backup loaders?

EDIT: The most relevant information right up the top for the busy and lazy people. For the time being it seems backup loaders have the slowest load times. This might change in the future, we shall see. This post was last edited on the 27th of June.

I used a TV Capture device to time loading of a stage on Fire Emblem Warriors both from the official cart and from a dump of my cart.

Run 1 (Official cart): 17.88 seconds (1072 frames)
Run 2 (Emulated cart): 26.51 seconds (1589 frames)
Run 3 (Official cart): 17.78 seconds (1066 frames)
Run 4 (Emulated cart): 25.64 seconds (1537 frames)

In my test, the official cart was quicker. The SD card used is a Sandisk Ultra 128gb (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JYC4XM), which in my PC reads at 97MB/sec.

I just ran tests with another game (Mario Kart 8) and got the same result. SD card is formatted ExFat (128kb sectors) with Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie). I'll try another card formatted by the Switch itself and get back to you in a bit.

Emulated Cart - MK8D loading Mario Circuit (200cc GP)
Test 1 - 15.83 seconds (949 frames)
Test 2 - 16.55 seconds (992 frames)
Test 3 - 15.07 seconds (903 frames)

Official cart - MK8D loading Mario Circuit (200cc GP)
Test 1 - 10.14 seconds (608 frames)
Test 2 - 10.46 seconds (627 frames)
Test 3 - 11.68 seconds (700 frames)

Edit: Back after a bit, I formatted the SD card with the Switch OS (It also used ExFat with 128kb sectors) and re-tested Fire Emblem. It sped up the emulated cart load times when compared to my first tests emulated cart load times, but still far quicker to use the official cart.

Emulated - FEW loading Invisible Ties battle "Timed Onslaught (lvl 2)"
24.87 seconds (1491 frames)
24.96 seconds (1496 frames)
25.01 seconds (1499 frames)

Original - FEW loading Invisible Ties battle "Timed Onslaught (lvl 2)"
17.47 seconds (1047 frames)
17.80 seconds (1067 frames)
18.65 seconds (1118 frames)

Last edited by ,

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would depend on the speed of your sd card, and I would assume it would be roughly equivalent to running an eshop install of the game from the same card.

Yeah the difference between cart and a proper SD is pretty negligible from most times I have seen. In some cases the internal posts noticeably fatser times. My guess is those games showing big improvement have lots of small files/assets.

I would be interest for feedback from those who own a cart and then run the .xci mounted.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually from the original card games to a good A1 SD digital games there is a considerable difference, depending on the game engine too... Now I also would like to know if the .XCI games on SX OS load the same as the actual original eshop games.

On atmosphere it will most likely either run at original card level or a bit worse since all data, caching, OS and games are being loaded from the same source, while officially the Horizon+caching is loaded on main system faster nand memory and the Eshop games loaded from the M-SD...

Reactions: Fuk

MiCH431

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used a TV Capture device to time loading of a stage on Fire Emblem Warriors both from the official cart and from a dump of my cart.

In my test, the official cart was quicker. The SD card used is a Sandisk Ultra 128gb (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073JYC4XM), which in my PC reads at 97MB/sec.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the difference between cart and a proper SD is pretty negligible from most times I have seen. In some cases the internal posts noticeably fatser times. My guess is those games showing big improvement have lots of small files/assets.

I would be interest for feedback from those who own a cart and then run the .xci mounted.
I both hate and love this. Back when it was primarily disc, from memory (rom) was a huge benefit.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

THANK YOU 4 the info but DAMN, that sucks and its not even emunand...

Did you try letting the console format the M-SD to probably make sure its at nintendo Switch best performance? (Don't know if it would make a single difference anyway;)).

MiCH431

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THANK YOU 4 the info but DAMN, that sucks and its not even emunand...

Did you try letting the console format the M-SD to probably make sure its at nintendo Switch best performance? (Don't know if it would make a single difference anyway;)).

I just ran tests with another game (Mario Kart 8) and got the same result. SD card is formatted ExFat (128kb sectors) with Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie). I'll try another card formatted by the Switch itself and get back to you in a bit.

Emulated Cart - MK8D loading Mario Circuit (200cc GP)
Test 1 - 15.83 seconds (949 frames)
Test 2 - 16.55 seconds (992 frames)
Test 3 - 15.07 seconds (903 frames)

Official cart - MK8D loading Mario Circuit (200cc GP)
Test 1 - 10.14 seconds (608 frames)
Test 2 - 10.46 seconds (627 frames)
Test 3 - 11.68 seconds (700 frames)

Edit: Back after a bit, I formatted the SD card with the Switch OS (It also used ExFat with 128kb sectors) and re-tested Fire Emblem. It sped up the emulated cart load times when compared to my first tests emulated cart load times, but still far quicker to use the official cart.

Emulated - FEW loading Invisible Ties battle "Timed Onslaught (lvl 2)"
24.87 seconds (1491 frames)
24.96 seconds (1496 frames)
25.01 seconds (1499 frames)

Original - FEW loading Invisible Ties battle "Timed Onslaught (lvl 2)"
17.47 seconds (1047 frames)
17.80 seconds (1067 frames)
18.65 seconds (1118 frames)

Last edited by MiCH431,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I even wonder from that info if CPU performance is also less when using SX OS backup games trough their backup loader??

Does anyone know why would emulated games run slower on a fast SD than the original cart which is already slower than eshop games on a fast SD from factory.

ps: And like I said this is not even emunand, I hope atmosphere doesn't go slower than that ;).

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sure it takes a few seconds more sometimes. But does that negate the benefits?
For me surely not. If I can't spend 5-7 second longer in regard to loading compared to;
getting the actual cart, loading the actual cart, booting it ... well then what is life really :P

Also 'throwing a fit' because 5-7 longer load times ... well you could have done a hell of a lot in-game you know ...
Come on :P It's not like its even 30 seconds of difference. If you plan on gaming ... you should not worry about such a little delay.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just a few games... imagine something that takes 2, 3 and maybe more minutes to load... The higher the time the bigger will probably be the difference...

Also lead to more textures not loading on some games and stuff like that, specially unreal engine games on other platforms has massive texture loading problems.

ps: Thing is again this is not even emunand, because if atmosphere doesnt get a speed up on the backup loader theoretically speaking, everything is read and written from the same M-SD card making the difference even bigger, data caching, data loading, data reading all at the same time from a single M-SD...

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That video is bad, I had previously seen it and posted on it... Its more a Zelda only loading time than a general Switch cartdriges vs M-SD, and also has nothing to do with what we wanted to know which is backups loading time...

We already know for a Long time that M-SD digital games are faster than the card game, we wanted is to know about backups which sadly seem to load slower than the retail cart ;)

Reactions: naddel81

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh man... I was hoping to improve Zelda's load times, not make them longer... Maybe an eShop purchase would be worth it if it loads faster than the cart does. Has anyone tested that?

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you never searched before it goes like this: Main storage>M-SD>carts. Its on youtube for a long time already...

Sadly with backups M-SD seem to come worse than carts at the moment at least (thanks to user MiCH431 for posting here)...

Can also someone plz test loading backups trough LayeredFS VS gamecards on Horizon

Last edited by guily6669,

korko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Those load times in SX are incredibly disappointing. If you compare to eg a purchased eshop title that's a significant difference.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible that SX OS runs in a VM Like Environment? Maybe that is the culprit?!

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    Time is running out for your phone!
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH
    At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in the world
    +1
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: https://youtu.be/JmSqorj-EC0?si=vYqR8D7FZeO4N-TH At 1 AM, this video is the funniest thing in... +1