Gaming How exactly does someone make a Hackintosh?

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a old laptop I don't use as much and I've never touched the Mac OS before, so I wanted to try it, so I looked around on how to make a hackintosh, though I don't really know where to start.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Err...the motherboard compatibility might not be. It's more important than CPU and GPU compatibility. If it's not compatible with your motherboard, it won't be compatible with your CPU or GPU.

Can you post the specs of your laptop/a page that contains specs?

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Err...the motherboard compatibility might not be. It's more important than CPU and GPU compatibility. If it's not compatible with your motherboard, it won't be compatible with your CPU or GPU.

Can you post the specs of your laptop/a page that contains specs?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A6Z59UA?HP-Pavilion-g6-1d60us-Notebook-PC

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can get Snow Leopard running on just about anything. Getting stuff like networking and sound functional is another story. OSX has to have drivers for the individual components before they will work. I say Snow Leopard since I personally have had no luck getting Lion running on an AMD machine.

EDIT: The link you posted doesn't show the model of the network controller. Without that, it's impossible to know whether it will work without installing first.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get Snow Leopard running on just about anything. Getting stuff like networking and sound functional is another story. OSX has to have drivers for the individual components before they will work. I say Snow Leopard since I personally have had no luck getting Lion running on an AMD machine.

EDIT: The link you posted doesn't show the model of the network controller. Without that, it's impossible to know whether it will work without installing first.

I had a look around, it seems I have a Realtek RTL8101 network controller.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Well after a short bit of searching it turns out that unofficial drivers do exist for that controller.

Nujui

I need something to do.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well after a short bit of searching it turns out that unofficial drivers do exist for that controller.

Alright..so how would I start the process? What do I need to get?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You would need either a retail disk plus booter on a flash drive, or a premodded image burned onto a DVD. After that you boot the system, and if all goes well, install OSX and then get drivers installed for stuff not directly supported.

In a nutshell.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish you luck, a hackintosh isnt the easiest thing in the world. If you end up and find your machine cant do it, i suggest going with a really light install of linux if you just want to breath life into an old computer.

Reactions: 1 person

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I wish you luck, a hackintosh isnt the easiest thing in the world. If you end up and find your machine cant do it, i suggest going with a really light install of linux if you just want to breath life into an old computer.

i agree, why not install something like xbuntu which would bring new life into your old laptop.

Lastly

Tempin' at the speed of sound
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for stealing the thread here, but is a hackintosh 100% speed? I mean does it lag like in VMWare? Is it easy? Sorry for the n00b questions.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for stealing the thread here, but is a hackintosh 100% speed? I mean does it lag like in VMWare? Is it easy? Sorry for the n00b questions.
There is no emulation involved during run-time, so If you use supported hardware your performance will match that of a similarly specced Mac. The only potential speed hit would come from inefficient third-party kernel extensions, which would only come into play in corner cases with specific problem components.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0