How durable are your Nintendo handhelds/consoles?

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 10,219
  • Replies 53

How durable are your Nintendo handhelds/consoles?

• Crazy durable!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Meh. They're okay...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrible! They always break! >:(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My old GBC lasted until I sold it w/o problems.
GBA SP then -> the same, just the usual scratches on the shell
Now DS Phat bought the first week : Still in fine condition, touchscreen has many small scratches, but thats it.
WII: Perfect condition

In comparison the sony's I had:
PS1: Dunno, shuddenly stopped working, but it was already the end of glory PS1 days.
PS2: Laser died.
PSP: UMD Drive does not work anymore and there is a dark spot on the top-left of the LCD

Yeah, Im somewhat unlucky if it comes to sony.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gameboy Color: It still works, and is in great condition. Does have quite a few scratches on the screen itself, but it's fine. I whip it out to play my copy of Donkey Kong Country once every year or two.

Gameboy Advance: Also still works, and is in great condition. Also has quite a few scratches, but it works fine. Used to play Summon Nights 2 on this thing.

Nintendo DSL: It's been 3 years, but it's still alive and kicking. Dropped it many many times in my ownership, but besides that, I take a good care of it. L/R haven't given me any trouble, the hinge is fine, but the screen looks like it's going to die soon. It sometimes "blacks out", if you know what I mean. Even if it does black out, I just need to adjust the angle of the top screen, and works again. I use it to play all the pirated games for it, as I don't have a flashkart for the DSi, nor do I intend to get one. It's used as more of an alarm clock though these days.

Nintendo DSi: Had it for 5 months. Works great, and zero problems. This is what I use to play the games I bought. Gets way more time than the DSL.

Nintendo Wii: No problem here. Played it only 4 times since I got it, but that's because I'm busy with school. Will play some Trauma Center and Trauma Team when summer begins.

No Nintendo product I have ever owned has died on me. I'll buy 3DS Day one.

HouQuan1031

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
None of my consoles/handhelds have ever broke, they're all in perfect condition. Only my NDS Lite broke, the right hinge cracked and fell off and the top screen always display red, blue and yellow colours. It's so annoying when I play MPH, it flashes every time I press the L button, I'm saving my money for the 3DS and some other stuff

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No Nintendo console I ever owned broke even the Famicom I recovered from my dad's house works and the disk system works as well, my DSi is a launch model and it still works.

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My very first DS the original still works and I got it in 2006 which I then gave to my brother who is 6 and it still works. My DSi which I got on the UK release date still works but the R button went quickly then I took it back and they gave me a new one. Then my R button for my new one broke AGAIN, then shortly after, my L button broke and it's been like that ever since. My Wii is in great condition and still works and so does my Gameboy Advance and Gamecube.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NES:Still works after 23 years barely needs any blowing on games or anything else.

SNES:Still works after 19 years no flaws

N64:Still works perfectly after 14 years

GCN:I've gone through 3 GCN all because of the lens

Wii: Nothing wrong with any of the 3 Wiis i've owned so far.

GB: I've had the original GB for 21 years now and it still works =)

GBC:Still works but i prefer the original GB

GBA:never had any problems with it

DSL: both of my opened DSL work fine still no scratches or damaged buttons.Third DSL is still unopened.

DSi: nothing wrong with it still works flawlessly.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DS Lite - Left shoulder button busted
frown.gif
its not my fault anyway. It's nintendo's

Wii - DVD Drive busted

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine all work and never broke.

I even knifed my DS lite hinge. no dice. my dog attacked it. it broke. it came back to life on its own.

My SP.... the paint got rubbed out.

Yoshimashin

Penguin Spy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full list I guess

NES - Pins need to be replaced, but it functions fine.

SNES - Still ballin'

N64 - Works fine but I never played it because it sucks.

GameCube - First one stopped working randomly. I modded it and maybe 2 years later it just died. I have no idea what happened. My replacement console is still rockin' though.

Wii - My first Wii had serious heating issues. My second Wii works perfectly fine. The Wii I bought my brother has a defective DVD drive, but I bought it like that (really cheap, $40) I am not sure what the previous owners did but I am sure it is their fault. I could probably fix it but meh. USB is the way to go. The disc drive works and reads the game, but it doesn't eject.

Gameboy - I've had so many of these (there was one year where I went to maybe 4 yard sales, and they each had a combo of GameBoy with Zelda. I have no idea why they each had that same exact combo and why they sold for $5, but I didn't complain.) My original one never stopped working but I think I broke the tab thing that keeps the battery cover on. I replaced it later.

GameBoy Pocket - Love this thing. I still have it around for occasional play. Works fine.

Gameboy Colour - I have no idea what happened to mine. Last I used it, it was working fine.

Gameboy Advance - I bought one used and the L button never worked right. Not sure what happened to it. You had to hit the button REALLY hard to have it register.

Gameboy Advance SP - Things still chillin' around. It works fine, I usually keep it on my desk and use it as a flash light.

Gameboy Micro - I love this thing. I use it regularly. Works fantastic. Super cool Famicom themed one.

Nintendo DS - Works fine. I rarely used it when I had it because the corners dug into my hands. I really didn't like the design. It looked like it was a cheap 80's toy.

Nintendo DS Lite - Man, this thing was amazing. I bought one when they came out but I broke it when I got pissed at Ouendan once. (Fuckin cheating game). I bought another one and I used it for years until it was finally replaced by the XL. I have it as a backup in case a friend wants to play a game or something. It still functions like it was new. It does have a few dead pixels but they were there when I got it.

Nintendo DSi XL - It only came out a few months ago but it is in pristine condition with no issues.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Well, my Lite has been used daily since launch, and it works like a charm still. No broken hinge, no broken or loose buttons, but I wipe off the fingerprints and such on a daily basis also.

Blastoise

Trophies
XP
Country
GBA Colour - Still works like a beast. Iv given it to my little cousin now and its had a few drops I think but it still works like a charm.
GBA SP- That worked forever but I sold it to get some DS games just after I got my DS.
DS Lite (White) - This one worked perfectly until one day I had a lanyard on it, I closed the lid and somehow the lanyard got between the hinge and the lower body of the DS. Ultimately cracking the hinge.
DS Lite (Black) - This one still works great. I got this really cheap in Singapore when I was there for a 24 hour stop over. Of course I was a little worried about what I would do if it broke but it still works perfect to this day.
Wii - Softmoded, never bricked. Still works perfect.

supersonic5000

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GB: I think it still works... The only thing wrong is the frame around the screen came off.
GBC: Works perfect.
GBA: Battery cover is broke but the system works fine.
SP: Works perfect, the battery life is incredibly short compared to what it once was though
DS Phat: Works great, I sold it to my friend for 25 dollars though. XD
DS Lite: I broke one of these by dropping it. The hinge came undone... I bought another, but when the DSi came out I traded it in for $70 off at gamestop.
DSi: Working great since launch day.
biggrin.gif

NES: This was my dad's and it still works. 0.o There is the occasional time where it fails to read the carts but other than that it works flawlessly.
64: Still works great.
Wii: I'm on my 4th Wii now... The first was a launch Wii, the drive was broke out of the box.
The 2nd just stopped working, you could here the audio but it wouldn't output video.
The 3rd one the drive stopped working, so I sent it to nintendo and it got lost in shipping. >.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everything has been durable except for all three of my DS lites.
One of them has a cracked hinge.
One of them has a completely broken hinge, but the device still works.
One of them has a very loose hinge that feels like it will break at any second.

And all three of them have yellowish touch screens, but that has nothing to do with durability.
dry.gif

Despite the DS lite being very poorly constructed, I still think it's the best handheld ever (until the 3DS maybe).

As for my consoles, I hate how the analog control sticks for the Gamecube and Wii controllers always rub off (they used to be ridged, now they're completely smooth).

yikkyon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBC: Perfect Condition
GBA: Dropped several times. Perfect Condition
GBA SP: Dropped from one-story height. Slammed it against a wall
hate2.gif
(MMZ2). Perfect Condition
blink.gif

DS Phat: Slammed against the wall several times (Elite Beat Agents). Plays fine. Paint scratched off.
DS Lite: Perfect Condition
Wii:Overheat from Monster Hunters. Only playable for two hours at most!

Nintendo makes great products
yaynds.gif
!
Just hope the 3DS has the same monster durability...

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NES, SNESx2, N64x2, Gamecube, GBA, GBA SP, NDS, NDS Lite: They all still work, even after I spilled soda in one N64 and a bunch of my games. Only real problem is I don't have a functioning SNES power cord anymore, they both broke
frown.gif

Oh, and one SNES is in pieces because I started taking it apart a few years ago with the intent of making it portable, but I never finished.

I can't comment on the state of my GBC because it was stolen, along with Pokemon Blue, Yellow, and Gold.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
None of my hand helds have ever suffered from their own design aspects.

Ruined one dropping into water. Hardly its fault.

Two DS lites have failed to survive my teenager for more than a year though. Not a limit of the unit though, but a truth, if the thing still works a year later, the teen is just not atypical.

I guess the above truth is why Nintendo can sell so many revisions. The average user will need a new one nearly annually
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Traps