How durable are your Nintendo handhelds/consoles?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by soulx, Jun 18, 2010.

?

How durable are your Nintendo handhelds/consoles?

1. Crazy durable!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Meh. They're okay...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Horrible! They always break! >:(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 18, 2010
  1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    How durable are your Nintendo consoles/handhelds? Their handhelds and consoles are certainly more durable than stuff made from other companies. How have your handhelds/consoles fared?
    • DS Lite - The hinge got damaged really easily. It was only a minor crack, though. My sibling dropped it on the ground by accident and the F2 fuse was blown
    • DSi - I haven't had many problems with this. My only problem is with the L/R triggers. I sent it in to Nintendo to get it fixed. It worked for awhile until it broke again! I don't understand how this happened. I keep it in very good condition and have a case for it.
    • Wii - This is a rather durable console. I haven't had a single durability problem with it, so far.
    • GBA SP - I put this in my pocket on my way to the waterpark when I was younger. I forgot to take it out and it got soaked. Surprisingly, the only thing that was damaged was the right trigger button.
    • GBA - My GameBoy Advance still works with the exception of the directional pad. The directional pad needs to be pressed really hard for it to work.
    • GameBoy - I'd say my GameBoy is the most durable of all the handhelds! It's the oldest of all the handhelds I own and it still works perfectly!

2. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well of all the nintendo products i've had (NES, SNES, N64, NGC, Wii, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color GBA DS DSi), there were only two that broke down, one was my SNES (Coca Cola+ SNES=boom) and the other my N64 (it blew a fuse).
    The others have withstood the both test of time and my younger days (mainly dropping them etc., my Gameboy has landed in a river once and my DSi has been dropped down the stairs twice now and so on) So I have to say that they are quite durable.

3. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    DS Lite: constant L button malfunctioning and my hinge cracked [​IMG]
    GBA SP: works better than my DS Lite [​IMG]

4. johncenafan427

Member johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my dsi sucks.
    had it for about a week and a half
    and the l trigger stops workin properly.

5. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    [​IMG]

But probably due to my bad treatment of it, was pretty noob back then. Hinge broke too.

My new one has been working perfectly since.

Wii is still working perfectly.

GBA SP also working perfectly. I think. I dunno where I put it already.

6. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Everything had was fine expect

my very first ds, phat( color=blue) : someone else broke my hinge [​IMG] !!!

and

dsi : L/R button and I even has a case for it, had it about a year :/

7. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    Well how many times have you dropped it?

And anything is near-waterproof if properly dried out before testing.
    What I consider "durable" is dropping something from your roof and having it still work.

I'd figure the systems with the least abount of moving parts are the most durable.

IMO the DS' biggest durability flaw is the top screen. Its a moving part, and one that can be broken/snapped with the right force.

I would wager N64 being the most durable console.
    Gameboy pocket the most durable handheld.
    And NES as the most durable game carts. Apparently they still work after you drill holes through them.

Also DS carts are pretty durable. They're so light you could drop them 40+ feet and everything would be fine.

8. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    my gameboy color is still working fine, never had a problem.
    gba SP is also still working, my brother still uses it regularly.
    DSPhat is also still going strong, never had a problem with it.
    DSi is also still going strong despite being used a lot, no issues with crappy build quality.

Also, a friend of mine still owns one of the first gameboys, and he's still playing on it. [​IMG]

9. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    my old ds L, both "L" and "R" buttons were broken, and hence traded it in and got a DSi

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    • GameBoy Color - Can't find it so I haven't got a clue what happened to it.
    • GBA SP - Power switch occasionally has some problems, and it turns itself off after random intervals, too. Everything else about it still works perfectly though.
    • GBA SP - Yes, I have two. Nothing wrong with it as far as I remember, because I can't find it now.
    • DS Phat - The casing broke this winter, when my brother dropped it on the couch. Probably because of the constant temperature changes in the house (ie: door opens, cold comes in, door closes, house warms back up)
    • DS Phat - Yes, I have two. Nothing wrong with this one, although I fear the same thing will happen as with the other one.
    • DSi - Except for the shoulder buttons, no problems with it at all.
    • Wii - To be honest, I haven't even touched the thing for more than half a year now. So I have no idea in what condition it is, but I don't think anything's wrong with it since it's just standing there, doing nothing but catch dust.

11. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    GameBoy Color: Other than a broken on/off switch, it should still be workable.

DS: Other than dirt on my DS, it's still pretty much as good as new, okay fine.. the hinge is a tad squeezy, but that's it [​IMG]

12. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Very durable, all my handhelds + consoles still work perfectly.
    Except the DS Lite, they fucked that up a bit. Hinge is little shaky and the L button stopped working after about a year.
    But for the rest, very happy!

13. Theraima

Member Theraima I own this desert, bitches!

Finland
    GBA SP : Still own one and is working just fine.
    DS : It froze rarely and something happened to it and it's in two pieces, top screen and lower/touch screen.
    DS Lite : Working fine at the moment, tho I think there is something wrong with L and R.
    Wii : No problems so far actually, only rare game freezes.

14. Makar

Member Makar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My DS Phat (got it around launch time) has gone through a lot (dropped many times, even left it on the stove and the body melted into this weird form) but it still works 100% perfectly. The touchscreen is of course scratched up because I've used it so much.

As for my other consoles/handhelds they are all in like-new condition (except for my wii, it has paint on it -_-).

15. perpetualskeptic

Newcomer perpetualskeptic Advanced Member

United States
    NES - regular wear and tear over time (and I took it apart) but still mostly working
    Gameboy - solid as a rock until I got a Gameboy Color and got rid of it.
    Super Nintendo - Fantastic, still works to this day, hard plastic
    Gameboy Color - solid as a rock until I got a Gameboy Advance and got rid of it.
    Nintendo 64 - gave it to my cousins, but it still works great after all these years, nice hard plastic
    Gameboy Advance - Same as previous two, but SP
    Gameboy Advance SP - Right trigger broke down after a while (too much Megaman Zero)
    Gamecube - System was pretty solid, it never broke down on me, but the controllers seemed less solid than the 64 ones...
    Nintendo DS Lite (1) - Got it close to launch in Tokyo, worked fine until the triggers went on it, dropped it and the hinge broke, replaced the case with a custom one, but the hinge broke again, everything else still works fine.
    Nintendo DS Lite (2) - My wife's, also from close to launch, same problem.
    Gameboy Micro - One of the screws fell out, but the case is solid enough that it still holds together fine and goes around in my pocket without trouble.
    Wii (1) - Worked fine, weird power short in my apartment killed it.
    Wii (2)- Good and solid, but I don't care for the GC memory card and controller slots, the white plastic bit always comes off, and I need to snap it back in...I saw a better replacement online, but haven't bothered to buy it yet.

(crap that's a lot of systems...)

16. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    SNES - Still working absolutely perfectly after 15 years or so. Need some AV cables for it though as RF looks nashty!
    GBC - A few little scratches and the speaker's almost dead. Its lasted pretty well and is still playable. Its about 10 years old
    GBA - Working perfect after 7 years [​IMG]
    NDS(Fat) - The case only broke when I threw it onto my bed and overshot, hitting a wall. Even then it was still playable as the hinge was in several parts so it was just a bit loose. The touchscreen hasn't had a protector on it for a while but is still functioning perfectly and is playable despite some major scratching (in my opinion its major anyway)
    NDSlite (my little sister's) - The case broke quite spontaneously and was unplyable until a replacement was fitted. The touch screen is off by quite a bit in the centre too, this hasn't lasted too well mostly due to design flaws in my opinion.
    Wii(Launch) - Disc drive seems louder than it should be but its working fine. Still on 4.1E (need to update really)

PHEW! what a lot of stuff to type.

17. Frost>>&gt

Newcomer Frost>>&gt Member

United States
    My ds lite is really durable...but the L button broke. the trick is to blow. put your mouth on it lol and blow. this actually makes it work for a little longer. but adventually (bout six months)you have to send it in to nintendo again.

18. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    my DSPhat is freakin' unbreakable. as in, seriously unbreakable, i dropped it down some stairs once...

19. Potticus

Member Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    GBC: Few scratches perfect condition, played it when I was a little kid and it was durable.
    SP: Not a single scratch on the screen, the top has a few scratches and a bit of rubbing done to the casing but it works perfect.
    DSPHAT: Works perfect, good hinges, the shake a little bit and are loose but still works perfect, also no scratches.
    PSP: Have dropped it several times, only one or two minor scratches, works perfectly.

Xbox and 360 work fine, never dropped, never ever scratched a disk
    wii is in the closet gathering dust.
    ps2 perfect condition runs fine, even with the disk brake removed [​IMG]

20. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    GBC is still working but has quite a bit of scratches on it. - USEABLE
    GBA has a green line halfway through the screen and one halve of of the line doesn't work anymore (i can't see pokemon menu anymore >..< - USEABLE WITH NON SHOULDER BUTTON GAMES
    DSLITE crimson/black: Perfect condition after a year of use. - PERFECTLY USEABLE
    N64: a few scratches on the console from falling down stair but for the rest in perfect condition~! - PERFECTLY USEABLE