How does Xperia Play hold up today?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Arizato, Jan 23, 2013.

Jan 23, 2013
  1. Arizato
    OP

Member Arizato Memento Mori

Sweden
    So I just finished watching a review on Youtube regarding the Xperia Play. The reviewer really liked the phone and said it was a good phone for someone who likes gaming. I've had an iPhone 3GS for more than 3 years now and it's starting to wear out. I can't afford a new iPhone though, so I am thinking of getting an Xperia Play, I want that control pad when playing games on my phone.

How does it hold up today? Is it smoother now than it was at release? Can you convert your own Playstation 1 games? Which emulators work perfect?

Last but not least: Is it worth getting one now?

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You can convert your own PS1 games for it (with PSXperia), it's no power house but it "holds up". The gaming pad and the shoulder buttons are the selling point, really. It's a shame that it wasn't equipped with a dual-core processor and you'd expect it to have more RAM, but considering the price, it's entirely acceptable. Planning to get one myself when I can afford it.

3. Arizato
    OP

Member Arizato Memento Mori

Sweden
    How's the compability in converted PSXperia games? Does it support multidisc games like Legend of Dragoon, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII/IX?

4. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    Its a pretty solid device, the only bad points are the battery life, the physical thickness of the device and the fact that Sony had abandoned any updates from Gingerbread.

5. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    i had an xperia play for about 9 months and to be honest, the device never "held up" in the first place. Yes, the ideas behind it were great but it never works as it should. I tried stock roms, customs roms, overclocking and all sorts trying to get emulation on it perfect but it doesnt exist. Snes, Nes, Genesis, SMS, GBA all dont work properly. You have a choice of smooth video and crackly sound, or sound which is perfect, but with jumpy framerates. No overclocking sorts this. Its a phone issue.

Also, the actual physical controls are truly awful. One of the worst dpads that has even been produced. It doesnt feel very responsive and the diagonals are difficult to hit. The less said about the analogue controls the better.

I imagine the phones now are pretty cheap but my advice, save your money.

6. filfat

Member filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Sweden
    i own one and use it as my dealy device and i have rooted it and overclocked it. and it's runs wery smooth but the batery is very bad... and it's are not so much xperia play optimized games... but if you can get one buy it =)