How does this scam work?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, May 18, 2018.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I found a video on YouTube today promising to give you Hyrule Warriors for free. The reason I believe it to be a scam is "if it's too good to be true it probably is". According to the video if you sign up to some website, download a free mobile app and play it for about 30 seconds you'll get an email with a download code for the game. There's also a fuckload of other games featured in the video.

*snip*

EDIT: I am 99% sure this is a scam. If you are unwise enough to follow the instructions in the video and get screwed over it is your own fault and I will not be held responsible.

Last edited by porkiewpyne, May 18, 2018
  2. Scarlet

Scarlet Respect the Hero

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    I mean the scam works by people downloading the app lol. If you give them your email, they'll probably just sell it onto people and get you added to some great phishing mailing lists. You won't get a download code, I know that for sure.

Edit: Having watched the video, they probably also get some sort of revenue for getting people to download the games. Just save yourself the hassle and save up for the game lol.

Last edited by Scarlet, May 18, 2018
  3. hellrokr

hellrokr GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    YOu just downloaded an app which would malicious. So, probably, your phone is hacked as well.

4. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks you're all alright actually

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    30 seconds running the app, that's about enough time to install a ton of malware on older devices

5. pustal

pustal Koalafied member.

Jul 19, 2011
    Portugal
    The Matrix
    I can't see the video right now but you can create a throaway e-mail and use Bluestacks or something alike (inside a VM if you're paranoid) not to taint your phone and see the scam process.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's the classic "promise you something in return for doing something that makes them money but you never actually receive anything for it" scam.
    Normally you see these on fake emulator sites/videos, where you're asked to fill out a survey to receive the download, but the only thing that happens is you're sent to yet more surveys, and if/when you finally do receive the download, it's all garbage data, and often passworded with a password you don't have.
    They've just taken it a step further by making you install something that could potentially contain malware.

7. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    i didnt even bothered watching the video and you should remove it, because, other people here might try it and you making it youtube seing it as trendy and recomending it to more people

first: you won't get an email with the code. even if you do everrything right you wont. the max you can get is a link to a survey which you have to pay to view a corrupted file lol

second: "install an app" < i guess you pretty much understand how the scam works?
    the app can do theese:
    steal your data (spyware)
    install other crap into the phone (apps you dont want but they get money from them)
    replace your home screen with randsomware which you will have a screen saying the fbi locked your phone and you will have to pay to get your data back
    advertisement, turn your phone into a billboard that every 1 second or keystroke your phone shows you and opens all kind of crap
    in a pc, i dont think its common in a phone, it could start to mine for criptocurrency
    watch your camera while you wash your feet

third: they want the email to fill it with crap of course, to sell it to third parties and whatnot

Last edited by migles, May 18, 2018
  8. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    Try it will bluestacks and a fake email. The key generator kinda reveals it's a scam lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice