Hacking How does one play NDS games on a 3ds using a dual core 'new' r4 clone?

Spai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hello everyone,

I was gifted a 3ds xl yesterday and I went flash cart hunting today. I had to buy one flash cart for my mom's DS lite as well. I asked the vendor to first show me a card that works on my new 3ds (although the version on it is 6.2.0-12E and not 9.xx). He told me that no flashcart works on the 3ds as of now (looks like it is true for the version of my 3ds). I said I will settle for a one that has NDS functionality on my 3ds xl.
He gave me a R4 sdhc Dual-Core card. The homepage mentioned on the cover was: http://www.r4isdhc.hk. It looks like this:
R4i_r2_c4new.jpg

I wanted to test it. So he installed some firmware and gave it to me. And it worked!

Then he asked me to pay an exorbitant amount of money claiming that 3ds is very 'hard' to hack in and I refused to pay. I told him I will just buy the cheaper NDS flash cart (for my mom's ds llite). To my surprise, he gave me the same card with some other firmware. And it works dandy on my DSi (so it will mostly work on my mom's DSLite).

Now I have spent the entire day searching for the right kernel and the right firmware update that lets me play NDS games on my 3ds. But I am thoroughly defeated. I tried the following things in vain:

1) The home page has support for "2013/2014/2015" cards which is compatible up to 9.XX versions. But the "new" card is apparently compatible for 4.xx versions. A lot of youtube videos and online articles tell me that the "new" card does not support version 6.xx. But that is obviously wrong since I saw it work!!

2) I tried to follow retrogamefan's post. One libfile was missing from the _rpgmenu folder. And it didn't work either.

3) I have tried the firmwares of other sites similar to this one. It didnt work. And I don't think I have bricked my r4 since I can run my DSi.

So tl;dr:
I *KNOW* there is a firmware/kernel for the r4 dual core "NEW" card that makes it work on a 6.2 3DS XL. I am unable to find it. Can you please help me?

UPDATE:
If someone here can reverse guess the firmware, I am including the files given by the vendor:
http://filetrip.net/dl?eywb48KEjE

Spai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi Kelton2,

He put a working NDS game that he owned in the system and I played it. So he didn't scam me.

There is a firmware out there that can make the 3ds work with this flashcart.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to be honest here.. There are hundreds upon hundreds of R4 clones, that one is no exception. At one point, there were just as many sites as there were cards. I hope you find what you're after.. but I suggest never buy an R4.

Reactions: Spai and Kelton2

Spai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Perhaps my rambling account was not clear. I bought that card for my mom's DSlite and the firmware given by the vendor works for that purpose. So there is no scam.

It is just that I am amazed that a gray market vendor can find the firmware for a r4 clone but I can't find it. I want to buy a gateway 3ds and Supercard DStwo but these cards are unheard in India!

Perhaps it is as Mchief298 says. There are just too many of 'em out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, what do you two think?
  • light27 @ light27:
    it was like
  • light27 @ light27:
    "wake up dr frema. wake up and smell da ashes.."
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, did you reincarnate?
  • light27 @ light27:
    yes
  • light27 @ light27:
    also another thing, why do i always open gbatemp chat at the most unfortunate times
  • light27 @ light27:
    you guys need to stay away from @AncientBoi o.o
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, why is talking about my birthday something bad?
  • light27 @ light27:
    wait what? oh
  • light27 @ light27:
    my bad
  • light27 @ light27:
    happy birthday
  • light27 @ light27:
    OIP.19q3E5NK_Mdn0K35CZWrWQHaJ4
    for you bro
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, it's actually tommorrow but thx
  • light27 @ light27:
    oh it’s the least I could do
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, stop stealing my phrases
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire