How Does One Boot into EmuNand Mode?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by XDel, Jun 17, 2015.

1. XDel
    OP

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Or is this even possible. I tire of having to go through the settings menu every time.

Thanks in advance!

2. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    Go through settings like you have been, or leave it on standby instead of turning off when in Emunand. :P

dedChar likes this.
  3. genericuser

genericuser GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2015
    It would be cool if you could boot straight into emunand, but I think most people just leave the 3ds on standby. The only precaution you should take is taking the gateway card out, as it can overheat (exit the game if running off the card's micro sd and unmount the card before physically ejecting it then going to sleep).

4. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Changing the way the system boots would require being able to change the boot code or the system software. Either of those would require being able to sign the code with Nintendo's private keys. Until that happens, all we can do is take advantage of bugs that allow us access to the system once it's up and running. Personally, I leave the system on but asleep when not in use so it stays in emuNand as much as possible.

5. XDel
    OP

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Thanks!

6. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    How do you even do that? It does not work for me anymore.. I do it through the browser the whole time.

7. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    He's either on 4.5 old 3ds or 9.0-9.2 N3ds with 4.5 Mset exploit installed.

Bimmel likes this.
  8. XDel
    OP

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I created a emunand, updated it, downgraded the rean NAND, and all that stuff that in one of the tutorials on this site. I forget the exact steps, sorry.

Bimmel likes this.
  9. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Anymore? Does that mean it worked in the past?

If you were able to use it before, but it stopped working, then what most likely happened is that your Profile was lost/altered. You should be able to run GW_INSTALLER.nds from the Blue Card to reinstall it and get it working again.

If this isn't the case, please post with more information about your setup, your system, what you have done with it so far (like what you installed), and I'd be happy to try to help you.

Bimmel likes this.
  10. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for your answers! Really nice! : )

And yes, it worked perfect previously.

Hm.. right, now that you say it - there was something like that. I remember! It was so long ago that I used this method, it just slipped through my head.
    I will try it out and report back to you!

For the informations: I have an Old Nintendo 3DS XL with a Nand Firmware on 4.5 and an EmuNand on 9.8. I did not really do that much with it. I installed some games through .cia and used the Gateway to play .3ds in EmuNand. Some themes and DLC too. But nothing big I guess.

You seem to know a lot about the Blue Card and the installer. I've got a question that goes in that direction. When I start my DSTWO in EmuNand the screen goes black and I can't do anything anymore but to go back in the menu. I think I got the most recent update from the DSTWO. What is possibly wrong here?

Thanks in advance and for helping me out that much!

Greets

Bimmel

11. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    The DSTWO is a NDS flash card, for playing NDS games, correct? Gateway's patches cause DS mode (I want to say TWI_FIRM?) to not work correctly (I don't know the exact details of what changes are made, why it doesn't work, etc), meaning you cannot use any DS mode software when using Gateway, including emuNand. This includes retail DS cards, DS flash cards (such as the Blue Card), and DSiWare. These can only be run in sysNand, before using the exploit, which also means that you won't be able to run DSiWare that doesn't have a valid signature.

Also, when you run DS mode software, it usually alters the profile stored in NVRAM, causing the exploit to stop working. It's easy to fix, just run GW_INSTALLER.nds again once you're done playing DS games. Some people have been able to get theirs to "stick", but I don't think the exact reason is known yet.

12. XDel
    OP

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    How come Gateway's latest Readme says this?

"So what's new this time:
    - Updated Blue Card GW_INST...
    - Added option to boot into SYSNAND mode directly even with EMUNAND on SD card"

13. alantgw

alantgw Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2014
    Hong Kong
    The word 'directly' means you can use command to boot into sysnand mode while you are in the GW menu, which still requires you to use DS profile exploit / OOT / CN / spider(for O3DS) to get in GW menu.
    Before such update, you would need to insert a sd without EMUNANAD in order to boot into SYSNAND.

14. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Before the update, the only way to run the sysNand in Gateway Mode was to either remove emuNand from your SD card, or use a new SD card without an emuNand partition at all. It was a bit of a pain since the update before included files that were to be installed in sysNand, so the option to skip emuNand was added to make the process easier.

In the Gateway Launcher menu, highlight "Boot Gateway Mode", and hold B. The text will change to "Boot Gateway Sysnand Mode". While holding B, press A. It will ask you to confirm that's what you want to do by pressing X. It's main purpose is to install mset.cia/bluecardfix.cia in order to enable the NVRAM Profile exploit on New 3DS systems.