Homebrew How do you unbrick a 3ds just for future references?

Jeremy970

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you unbrick a 3ds just for future references? I have an r4igold card and a magnet but i cant remember how to unbrick it and I just want to know in case i mess up at some point.

Solution
It's basically impossible to fully (software)brick a 2|3DS with B9S by accident. In 99% you will still be able to boot into GodMode9 even if the main operating system is fully trashed.

* Troubleshooting software damage is not always easy. Describe your problem as good as possible on the forum and chances are you will get competent help.
* Keep a NAND image in a secure location for the worst case (full NAND restore is not the first thing to try though)
* For ntrboot (needed if B9S has been overwritten) you will need any other DS system can flash ntrboothax on your flashcart like explained on the guide:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot
You can ntrboot right into GodMode9 by providing it as boot.firm (instead of SafeB9Sinstaller)...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that kinda depends. some say hard bricks are unrecoverable bricks, while others say they require soldering or opening up the console. soft bricks are usually fixable by a reinstall of the firmware, ctrNAND transfer, or reinstall a NAND image.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's basically impossible to fully (software)brick a 2|3DS with B9S by accident. In 99% you will still be able to boot into GodMode9 even if the main operating system is fully trashed.

* Troubleshooting software damage is not always easy. Describe your problem as good as possible on the forum and chances are you will get competent help.
* Keep a NAND image in a secure location for the worst case (full NAND restore is not the first thing to try though)
* For ntrboot (needed if B9S has been overwritten) you will need any other DS system can flash ntrboothax on your flashcart like explained on the guide:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot
You can ntrboot right into GodMode9 by providing it as boot.firm (instead of SafeB9Sinstaller)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot)
=============

Hardware bricks can obviously only solved by repairing the hardware damage. The howto depends on the damaged part(s).

Good luck and have fun!

Solution

Jeremy970

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a new 3ds xl which has never been bricked but ive seen my freinds 3ds get softbricked once. I actually have his 3ds right now if 2 3ds console will help fix a brick

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please define hardbrick.

On XDA Developers they use hardbrick for cases where an Android phone will not go into Fastboot or Download mode to repair the software although the actual hardware is not damaged. It needs bridging test points on the PCB or something to boot the phone into an emergency mode.
Comparable would be a 2|3DS where the complete NAND or at least FIRM0 and FIRM1 have been overwritten with garbage data. It needs an ntrboot cart (additional hardware) to repair the software damage. This does not happen accidentally. You have to force overwriting the FIRM partitions and ignore BIG RED WARNINGS.
===========

Normally we use hardbricked on GBAtemp for hardware damage (spontaneous hardware defect, water damage, drop damage, overvoltage, fire/heat, device run over by a car, ripped solder pads... the list what can cause hardware brick is almost endless)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: And what?