How do you take a hardmod NAND backup using a MAC?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by BaconSocks, Feb 10, 2016.

1. BaconSocks
    OP

BaconSocks Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
  2. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Assuming you have the NAND hooked up to the computer, absolutely. You'll need to know the "file" that represents the NAND

3. BaconSocks
    OP

BaconSocks Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    Well I'm in the middle of performing a hardmod on my 2015 n3ds xl. i've already built the sdcard cable device. Unfortunately, I ripped the ribbon of the lcd screen, and waiting for the spare part to come in the mail.

But as far as using 'dd', i'm not familiar with this, so I don't even know how to start. I was going to make a VM of a windows box, and forward the usb to it so i can use win32diskwriter but if i can do it natively on a mac, i'd rather do that.

Last edited by BaconSocks, Feb 11, 2016
  4. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Well if you need any help feel free to tag me once you get everything ready :)

5. Ninoh-FOX

Ninoh-FOX Otaku Gamer!!

Jan 22, 2015
    Military base.
    In Linux terminal type:
    $sudo dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=nand.bin (for backup)
    , and
    $sudo dd if=nand.bin of=/dev/sdb1 (for restore)

6. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
  7. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    First, this isn't Linux, second you CANNOT assume that /dev/sdb1 is going to be his NAND, that might be a flash drive or some other storage media (assuming that the sdx structure works on a Mac which it seems that it doesn't)

Last edited by dark_samus3, Feb 11, 2016
  8. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    The principle is the same, but the naming convention is different. In any case, you are correct that the commands listed by Ninoh-FOX for Linux will absolutely not work on a Mac. Also they do not include the blocksize command which significantly increases the rate at which the data are read from/written to the NAND. Also on a Mac you have /dev/diskx and /dev/rdiskx. Using /dev/rdiskx is much faster as it provides lower-level access to the device.

dark_samus3 likes this.
  9. BaconSocks
    OP

BaconSocks Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2016
    United States
    thank you very much guys, I will give a status report once I get my n3ds all working again!