How do you remove a background?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by .Chris, Dec 13, 2010.

Dec 13, 2010
  1. .Chris
    OP

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    How do you remove a background from an image in GIMP? Such as the other cookies, plate, and the glass surrounding the middle one?

[​IMG]

2. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    You zoom alot and you use the free select tool to, well, select the cookie.

EDIT:like this:
    [​IMG]

I know it looks crude and not very nice, but I did it in 2 minutes as an example.

3. .Chris
    OP

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    really? is that the only way?

is there another way to remove the background like in Photoshop?

4. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    If there is, I don know of it. But I used GIMP like 3 times in my life, so...

EDIT: Also, you may want to post this in the AskGBATemp section...

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Rather than freehand select tool you can try the fuzzy select tool- among the other select tools there is a magic wand like icon (it is also in the selection tools submenu of the tools pulldown menu context menu or you can just hit the u button).
    This is all photoshop does give or take some possibly faster/nicer algorithms and a delete of the inverse of your selection (select pulldown menu- invert or ctrl and i).

After this you do have other options- you can select a region of image if you want (essentially making a select mask), you can improve your odds here by upping or reducing contrast to lose things, there are edge detection algorithms and other things you can play with if you want.

You happen to have picked a really nasty image to try and do such a thing on though (most of the automated methods work on the basis of colour and "texture").