How Do You Play Phantasy Star Online?

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some interest in the original Phantasy Star Online games. The rest of the series takes a different direction all while referencing occasionally, usually through BGM or big bads. But I really wanna experience that clunky Multiplayer RPG, especially since it still has a story.

However, because it is comparable to an MMO, it's kind of unclear how to experience that story and searching had brought little help. I know there are fan servers for Blue Burst on PC and while I've tried them, I've had no idea what I was doing or had any feeling of progress. According to Phantasy Star Wiki, Blue Burst is also the only one that doesn't offer an Offline story mode. So I have no clue where to go with this.

Even if the stories aren't anything notable, I'd still be fine with them just as a time waster. While I get that it's probably best with friends, I still think I should get my hands on whatever solo experiences the game(s) offer.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read some PSO developer interviews recently (I think it was to celebrate the anniversary a few years back) and they seemed to cite the GC version of I & II as the "definitive" version since it included all of the stuff they wanted to put in the DC release but couldn't for various reasons. They made it sound like the Xbox version was just Microsoft throwing cash at Sega so they could use PSO as a selling point for Xbox Live, which was why you couldn't even play that one offline (without hacks). And I don't think the card game was even made by the same team.

If you're a fan of the original series and are just curious about the story, you're going to be disappointed. It didn't even start development as a Phantasy Star game. Yuji Naka just decided after a certain point that it should be one. The developer (I forget his name) who was responsible for adding the Phantasy Star story elements said he added similarities as homages to the original series, but that's about where it ends. You'll find vague similarities but no actual links, and the story is barely there to begin with.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, that's interesting. Guess I'll check out I & II.

Honestly it's just that it's weird playing versions clearly made for having more than 1 person. I don't have high expectations for the story, nor have any connection to the original PS. I just think it'd just be neat to go through at least once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: so I don't get why it got moved at all