Gaming How do you make a wii game

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who said the Wii homebrew scene was dead?
Umm. Nobody did.

The thing is knowing how the Wii's source code works as well as the SDK, Wii homebrew could be further simplified with open-source tools made by the community.

The N64 homebrew scene is bigger now than ever. I would love to get my grubby mits on a working SDK for Wii.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Who said the Wii homebrew scene was dead?
Dead as in nobody has or will ever make anything again? Nobody can claim that.
Dead as in nobody is really pushing things forward or attempting to do a whole load of new and interesting things, much less at anything like it at is peak? Oh yeah.

Did anybody hear about that massive Nintendo leak? Apparently the Wii's Source code as well as SDKs for the console were leaked.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...-leak-includes-wii-source-code-n64-demo-games

This could be huge for the homebrew scene on the Wii.
Not really. Most of what is contained there is going to be of not great interest for homebrew.
For years and years now from almost the earliest days we have basically had full access to SD, USB, network, main processor, controllers and video, as well as reasonable debugging (which is even better today). Most of those are perfectly well understood (we have homebrew taking advantage of them and emulators able to simulate them) and nothing likely to be enlightened by it. Devkitpro/devkitppc, my issues with their leadership not withstanding, make a perfectly suitable compiler setup that anything leaked is unlikely to top a la what we saw on the original xbox.

It is not going to make things any simpler for homebrew as it is already there. Complexity is a tradeoff for speed most of the time (more complexity = higher top speed if you can handle the complexity), and anybody that wanted to alter the tradeoff line already could (see the Wii Lua scene).

The leaks are mainly of interest to history and tech nerds, possibly some device cloners in a few years and maybe to a few hackers wanting fast turnarounds for hacked IOS by virtue of being able to make custom from the ground up stuff and compile it rather than mess around with assembly hacking an existing item.

Reactions: newo and pottsie283

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if, you aren't allowed to use or share it. That wouldn't make too much sense. :(
I should note that despite the vast majority of homebrew for the original xbox being made to use the leaked SDK and libraries from it we still saw plenty of open source, and compiled stuff hidden away (see xbins) but still plenty available if you had even a sliver of computer knowledge.
Despite that the original xbox probably had one of the best, and is a decent contender for outright best*, homebrew scenes of any console.

*I would probably still consider it for an emulator station over a Wii, PS3 or similar. Though in reality I would just shove a PC or a raspberry pi there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back