How do you improve a TV's audio?

throwawayaccount873942

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My TV is not very good. The picture quality is half decent but the audio is terrible. The music and sound effects in some games sound muffled unless the volume is turned down low. Mainly I play on the Switch in docked mode. The controllers don't have an audio jack like PS4 controllers. The TV itself has no audio output ports.

How can I get better quality audio out of this TV? I came up with several ideas. The first is to buy an adapter which separates the video and audio from HDMI signals. These might add input lag. The other idea I came up with is to desolder the speakers in the TV and solder in better ones. I'm worried that it wont work or I might touch a charged capacitor and pay the ultimate price.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My TV is not very good. The picture quality is half decent but the audio is terrible. The music and sound effects in some games sound muffled unless the volume is turned down low. Mainly I play on the Switch in docked mode. The controllers don't have an audio jack like PS4 controllers. The TV itself has no audio output ports.

How can I get better quality audio out of this TV? I came up with several ideas. The first is to buy an adapter which separates the video and audio from HDMI signals. These might add input lag. The other idea I came up with is to desolder the speakers in the TV and solder in better ones. I'm worried that it wont work or I might touch a charged capacitor and pay the ultimate price.
Don't all TVs have at least a SPDIF output?
Anyway, you can use the headphone output on the Switch while docked.
Also, ARC is a standard feature on newer TVs, that allows you to use a HDMI cable to send the audio signal to a receiver (but even if your TV doesn't have that, you can still plug your devices into a receiver and send the video signal to the TV from it)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Use another set of amplified speakers, or bypass the TV's amplifier entirely and solder a different one in it's place. Also check the TVB's audio settings to see if ALVs (Automatic Volume Leveling) is turned on. If it is, disable it.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There may be many settings in the TV that are affecting the sound output. Although my TV speakers aren't great either, but it has a headphone socket and I sometimes plug in an old set of computer speakers.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you're handy with a soldering iron you could install and amp and some better drivers into your tv, you'd just need to find 12v on the psu to power the amp then connect up l and r audio channels

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-