Homebrew How do you hack/mod Old 3DS version 11.5.0-38.U

Anthea

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm new to the whole homebrew thing so if anyone has the time would you please explain to me how to do it. I've read countless forums and threads explaining how to do it but either their outdated or I have too many questions to proceed. I have the following questions:

1. What does it mean when the 3DS "hard bricks" or "bricks"? Why does it happen?
2. What are some reliable tutorials and links?
3. Is there a way to hack my 3DS with my current version?
4. Any videos? I'm more of a visual learner
5. Will I ever succeed in downloading homebrew on my 3DS? I feel that it's hopeless and I'm too much of a dunce to comprehend all the computer terms people are throwing at me in forums

I would really appreciate if you helped to answer any of these questions. Any tidbit of information would be valuable to me. Thank you in advance :) <3

mrjc1238

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. When a 3DS bricks, it means that the console is no longer able to boot for some reason. There's two types: soft bricks and hard bricks
With a soft brick, the console is still easily recoverable, and can usually be done with the system's built in recovery mode.
A hard brick, on the other hand, used to be recoverable only by hardmod or sometimes not at all. However, with the recently released NTRBoot, all bricks are now recoverable.

2 The best tutorial for 3DS homebrew installation is https://3ds.guide/ which has all files and step by step guides for it's installation, and for all versions that can be hacked as well.

3. On 11.5, there are 3 methods available to homebrew.
1. DSiWare
2. Hardmod
3. NTRBoot / magnethax
DSiWare requires two 3DS, one of which has one of the required games listed on these pages:
https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware-game-injection)
https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware-save-injection)

Hardmod requires soldering, and is not a good course of action if you don't know what you're doing/don't have experience

NTRBoot requires a compatible flashcard (https://3ds.guide/ntrboot), and only one 3DS if it is a working console, or two otherwise.

4. There's probably many video tutorials, you'd just have to look them up.

5. Of course! The 3DS guide I linked to is very simple to understand, just make sure you follow all the steps correctly, double checking if necessary.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think hard should be renamed firm brick, since hard brick suggest something's physically broken like my torn ribbon cable.
Also, couldn't have worded it better myself. I think something like this should be stickied so people have something to copy and paste from to limit these long drawn out explanations.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardly any videos Link back to the Guide . if you come across one that does and is a bit dated use it as referance Only. it may seem daunting at first , just think of alot of early downgraders went thru when it was simply "Flash n Pray" (i was a nervous wreck trying back then to do it originally with my O3DSXL ) once you get it done you will know your way around to do it again per if you have more than 1 3DS or help local friends :3

one set of terms not mentioned to be aware of when apps homebrew or even games (what we mention on eShop/freeshop/elsewhere its tagged otherwise)
O3DS = "Old 3DS"
O3DSXL = "Old 3DS XL"
O2DSXL= "Old 2DS XL" (2DS's only lack the stereoscopic 3D Mode (what makes the 3DS's 3D seem to be off the screen w/o glasses) outside that they are identical to a 3DS of it's Generation
N3DS = "New" Nintendo 3DS (this is akin to basically the Old3DS is to the DSPhat/Lite family as the N3DS is to the DSi, aka they have a faster CPU, and has more ram.)
N3DSXL = "New 3DS XL"
N2DSXL= "New 2DS XL" (this is what just release in july. the newest line in the 3DS Family and is just a 2DS counterpart to the New 3DS Family)

as well be aware anything that installs CIAs, accesses saves Directly (outside few exceptions) you see "Custom VC" , NTR Cheats / NTR Streaming and it's ilk, these generally are CFW (Custom Firmware) only.
if you haveto use a game exploit (ie. Rpgpwn, soundhax(older example) oot3dhax any *hax) this usally is referring to Userland Homebrew and cannot be launched using game exploit methods under Luma CFW as of 8.0 ("Rosalina is the Homebrew Launcher Loader 's Successor)

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardly any videos Link back to the Guide . if you come across one that does and is a bit dated use it as referance Only. it may seem daunting at first , just think of alot of early downgraders went thru when it was simply "Flash n Pray" (i was a nervous wreck trying back then to do it originally with my O3DSXL ) once you get it done you will know your way around to do it again per if you have more than 1 3DS or help local friends :3

one set of terms not mentioned to be aware of when apps homebrew or even games (what we mention on eShop/freeshop/elsewhere its tagged otherwise)
O3DS = "Old 3DS"
O3DSXL = "Old 3DS XL"
O2DSXL= "Old 2DS XL" (2DS's only lack the stereoscopic 3D Mode (what makes the 3DS's 3D seem to be off the screen w/o glasses) outside that they are identical to a 3DS of it's Generation
N3DS = "New" Nintendo 3DS (this is akin to basically the Old3DS is to the DSPhat/Lite family as the N3DS is to the DSi, aka they have a faster CPU, and has more ram.)
N3DSXL = "New 3DS XL"
N2DSXL= "New 2DS XL" (this is what just release in july. the newest line in the 3DS Family and is just a 2DS counterpart to the New 3DS Family)

as well be aware anything that installs CIAs, accesses saves Directly (outside few exceptions) you see "Custom VC" , NTR Cheats / NTR Streaming and it's ilk, these generally are CFW (Custom Firmware) only.
if you haveto use a game exploit (ie. Rpgpwn, soundhax(older example) oot3dhax any *hax) this usally is referring to Userland Homebrew and cannot be launched using game exploit methods under Luma CFW as of 8.0 ("Rosalina is the Homebrew Launcher Loader 's Successor)
Jeeze, cool it on the parenthesis. I already lost track of what goes where. Along with this though, there are also smaller terms to be aware of such as b9s, the main exploit triggered when loading the 3ds to load the cfw, though you'll probably grow more accustomed to these terms soon as it's really not that complicated.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
1. When a 3DS bricks, it means that the console is no longer able to boot for some reason. There's two types: soft bricks and hard bricks
With a soft brick, the console is still easily recoverable, and can usually be done with the system's built in recovery mode.
A hard brick, on the other hand, used to be recoverable only by hardmod or sometimes not at all. However, with the recently released NTRBoot, all bricks are now recoverable.
Except for MCU bricks ;)

Reactions: mrjc1238

Failed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi Guys i stuck on sys 11.5-38E cant update what should i do someone who can help me?
when i try update IT wont do IT !!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over