Hardware How do you feel about the joycon "d-pad"

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I bought my Switch, I had looked at a few reviews just because I wanted to see what others thought. One major problem people seemed to have was using the joycon like a d-pad. They said the experience was horrible and that one would definitely need a pro controller if they wanted to play classic games. The thing is, I don't mind using the arrow buttons as a d-pad at all. I played through all of Shovel Knight with it and had no complaints. When I get my NES30 Pro for Christmas I'll use that for classic games but until then, I'll be just fine. What do you guys think about this? Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with it?

Reactions: DarthDub

QuarterLife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost immediately switched to the Basstop shells with an actual dpad on them. I still have my original left joycon with the buttons on it collecting dust for the few times I want to play multiplayer with joycon controllers.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I felt sexually assaulted by the lack of a proper D-pad.
I almost immediately switched to the Basstop shells with an actual dpad on them. I still have my original left joycon with the buttons on it collecting dust for the few times I want to play multiplayer with joycon controllers.
I would have to say those shells are great, although the only thing that's keeping me from purchasing one of those shells is that they don't have any available in the stock grey colour that my Switch has, only those transparent/neon ones which I don't like at all :/

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It depends, if I use it for simple things, like a menu or like independent buttons all of it is ok.
If I use it for a platformer, it is not good, passable perhaps, but not good, not nice.
If I use it for a fighting game, it is terrible.

I use more often a Controller Pro, but the D-PAD still is not good enough.
I prefer playing things like Momodora 4 with my Xbox One controller D-PAD TBH.

Reactions: DarthDub

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
As I said multiple times, the arrow buttons aren't a reald D-pad because they're designed to be the ABXY button replacements when you use a single sideways joycon.
I would love to see any of the guys who complain about that try to play any game (like MK8D, for example) with the ABXY buttons tied together as in a D-Pad (or a sideways joycon with a real D-Pad) and see how clunky and bad it would be

QuarterLife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to see any of the guys who complain about that try to play any game (like MK8D, for example) with the ABXY buttons tied together as in a D-Pad (or a sideways joycon with a real D-Pad) and see how clunky and bad it would be

I have real controllers for that scenario. Alternatively I'll pretend there's a Nyko or Madcatz logo on the dpad joycon and give it to my friend with a big grin on my face like the good old days.

delta nite

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I get my NES30 Pro for Christmas I'll use that for classic games but until then, I'll be just fine. What do you guys think about this? Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with it?
I strongly recommend you get a SN30 Pro instead of a NES30 Pro. It's sturdier, has motion controls and (non HD) rumble.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I strongly recommend you get a SN30 Pro instead of a NES30 Pro. It's sturdier, has motion controls and (non HD) rumble.
Is that so? I prefer the design of NES 30 and I don't THINK I'll need motion controls for what I intend to use it for as I actually prefer joycons in that situation. Thanks for the tip though.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is that so? I prefer the design of NES 30 and I don't THINK I'll need motion controls for what I intend to use it for as I actually prefer joycons in that situation. Thanks for the tip though.
I have a FC30PRO* and TBH, I don't what people find so good about it.
It is a nice gamepad that works in several devices and is easy to carry around.
But if I consider it's build quality, how comfortable it is, or how well the D-PAD works, I would rate it rather lowly, specially those analogs are so small and a PITA to use.

(PS: I will get it out of wherever I have it stored and try it again, but I am surprised people talk of it as if it were a super gamepad or something, that is not how I remember it)

* The same as the NES30PRO with a different color selection (matching the Famicom)

D

Deleted User

I wait for Nintendo to release one of these:
AstHZBakQ8BcAkWND2UgBJ.jpg

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a FC30PRO* and TBH, I don't what people find so good about it.
It is a nice gamepad that works in several devices and is easy to carry around.
But if I consider it's build quality, how comfortable it is, or how well the D-PAD works, I would rate it rather lowly, specially those analogs are so small and a PITA to use.

(PS: I will get it out of wherever I have it stored and try it again, but I am surprised people talk of it as if it were a super gamepad or something, that is not how I remember it)

* The same as the NES30PRO with a different color selection (matching the Famicom)
That's what I've heard but I'm in the market for a game pad that is portable and versatile.

lostboysteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the pro controller at home but the joycons on the go. If we play multiplayer Mario kart we use the joycons. I think they work well, but they do have connectivity issues in a large room. My switch was mounted behind my TV and sitting on the couch about 8_10 yards away they were constantly losing sync even at full charge.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's designed exactly how it should be for any time you ever want to use individual Joy cons for on the go 2 player gaming. I get the complaints, but i prefer this over the traditional d-pad considering how much use i get out of the on the go 2 player setup.

Reactions: lostboysteve

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about the joy cons dpad, but the one on the wiimote is horrible if you have big hands. the one on the pro controller is much better.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I hate it.

The joycons need a revision for people with big hands.

I also hate the right side stick/button placement.

Cramp city.

In the beginning I really had to get used to them... but now I play longer without strains in my hand on the Switch then when I play on my 3DS/ 3DS XL.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    Thank you
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Thank you