• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

How do you feel about abortion?

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be nice, there are definitely liberals and moderates that are against abortion as well.

But yes, that is a common "argument" among them
I understand, but the classic conservative debate tactic is blame the victim/minority:

• The black kid should've kept his hand away from his pocket - (deserved to be shot)
  • The woman should've closed her legs - (doesn't deserve rights to an abortion)
  • The gay man shouldn't be displaying any sort of homosexuality in public - (shouldn't be oppressing Christians in public (lol))
  • The immigrant should only fly an American Flag - (shouldn't be "disrespecting" the USA by flying a foreign flag)
  • The single parent working two full time jobs to feed, house and clothe three kids shouldn't ask for benefits - (for some invalid reason, they don't deserve it and they're moochers)
Conservatives generally have an extremely narcissistic attitude.

D

Deleted User

and to me free and accessible birth control is the OBVIOUS solution
condoms - small hole in it from bad manufacturing or someone going in with a needle (its actually really easy to do without it being noticed, and i have not done it to mess with people, only to see how difficult it would be for someone to do)
pills - different bodies are different bodies, not all work the same, theres a girl at my school that is uneffected by birth control pills
spermicide - its like antibiotics, works on most but some have restances and are uneffected
cleaning out sperm - just no... why would anyone think that would work? thats how the 9y/o girl down the street got pregnant
dodging periods - 2 words, surprise babies

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
condoms - small hole in it from bad manufacturing or someone going in with a needle (its actually really easy to do without it being noticed, and i have not done it to mess with people, only to see how difficult it would be for someone to do)
pills - different bodies are different bodies, not all work the same, theres a girl at my school that is uneffected by birth control pills
spermicide - its like antibiotics, works on most but some have restances and are uneffected
cleaning out sperm - just no... why would anyone think that would work? thats how the 9y/o girl down the street got pregnant
dodging periods - 2 words, surprise babies
Agreed, obviously we've got to keep legal access to an abortion around, but at the very least better sex education and free access to birth control will reduce the number of abortions significantly

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Agreed, obviously we've got to keep legal access to an abortion around, but at the very least better sex education and free access to birth control will reduce the number of abortions significantly
yeah
im all for abortion because it should be up to the mother/accidentally pregnant womans decision
but it should still be used as a plan b for when birth control fails

it would be kinda weird for someone to goto an abortion clinic every few days XD

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah
im all for abortion because it should be up to the mother/accidentally pregnant womans decision
but it should still be used as a plan b for when birth control fails

it would be kinda weird for someone to goto an abortion clinic every few days XD
And that virtually never happens, even now

Reactions: Deleted User

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
better sex education
Indeed. For teens and young adults. Not like that channel "queer kid stuff" which is too far beyond education. Reminds me of my social worker as a kid that grabbed some human model dolls like those that have the furniture accessories and full family house and asked "Did your mommy and daddy ever do this?" and he'd start humping the two together on a bed. HE FLIPS IT, get this, then ask if I'd ever seen that, and I sit there. Confused. With an uncomfortable feeling that I still remember. My case was dropped as suspected to be slander on my family but that was the weirdest shit as a boy. He might as well should have got on his knees and did jerking motions then ask "Did you ever see mommy do this?". God... xD lol

free access to birth control
Whatever happened to teaching our kids not to be sluts? :(

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. For teens and young adults. Not like that channel "queer kid stuff" which is too far beyond education.
... What are you talking about?

Whatever happened to teaching our kids not to be sluts? :(
Wow, way to come across as a dick. Hate to break it to you, but if you have a teenager they're definitely out being a "slut" (read: having sex, even if it's in a committed relationship) anyway. Wouldn't you rather that they do it in a safe manner with as little risk of pregnancy possible?

And even if they aren't having sex, do they not have the right to fully understanding both their own and the opposite sex's anatomy?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure you were the smartest infant born who shit roses and didn't need anything after the umbilical cord was cut.
Oh no no no, I was truly an awful child. I don't want anyone to repeat my parent's mistakes.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never had a debate with a conservative about abortion where this specific argument wasn't used.
Conservative? Haha! I depise them just as much as I despise liberals.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I understand, but the classic conservative debate tactic is blame the victim/minority:

• The black kid should've kept his hand away from his pocket - (deserved to be shot)
  • The woman should've closed her legs - (doesn't deserve rights to an abortion)
  • The gay man shouldn't be displaying any sort of homosexuality in public - (shouldn't be oppressing Christians in public (lol))
  • The immigrant should only fly an American Flag - (shouldn't be "disrespecting" the USA by flying a foreign flag)
  • The single parent working two full time jobs to feed, house and clothe three kids shouldn't ask for benefits - (for some invalid reason, they don't deserve it and they're moochers)
Conservatives generally have an extremely narcissistic attitude.
Classic for you leftists to bring race into everything.

A person who steals should be arrested, not shot. However, if the robber pulled out a gun on a person and threaten to shoot. The police are justified in shooting him or her.

I never said a woman does not deserve abortion rights. I think it's morally wrong to kill an unborn living being. Birth control exists and should always be used above abortion.

Homosexuals can display affection in people. It does not bother me as long as I am not affected by it.

Immigrants should be able to fly whatever flag they may choose. They should however stand for the pledge.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Classic for you leftists to bring race into everything.

A person who steals should be arrested, not shot. However, if the robber pulled out a gun on a person and threaten to shoot. The police are justified in shooting him or her.
We wouldn't bring race into it if that weren't the case, but even branching out of racist behavior I'd like to remind you of the time that the cops shot a white guy holding a Wii remotes while he answered the door. Police these days are WAY too trigger-happy and it's not a good thing for ANYONE, but @dpad_5678 is right; conservative talk shows ALWAYS justify the killing of an unarmed black person

I never said a woman does not deserve abortion rights. I think it's morally wrong to kill an unborn living being. Birth control exists and should always be used above abortion.
I don't think there's a single person in this thread (that isn't being intentionally cynical) that would disagree with the last sentence

Immigrants should be able to fly whatever flag they may choose. They should however stand for the pledge.
Why, if I might ask? No one's REQUIRED to, and I can see why many people, immigrant or no, might either specifically chose not to or not specifically chose to

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We wouldn't bring race into it if that weren't the case, but even branching out of racist behavior I'd like to remind you of the time that the cops shot a white guy holding a Wii remotes while he answered the door. Police these days are WAY too trigger-happy and it's not a good thing for ANYONE, but @dpad_5678 is right; conservative talk shows ALWAYS justify the killing of an unarmed black person

I don't think there's a single person in this thread (that isn't being intentionally cynical) that would disagree with the last sentence

Why, if I might ask? No one's REQUIRED to, and I can see why many people, immigrant or no, might either specifically chose not to or not specifically chose to
To prevent further derailment of this topic, please DM me if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're basically saying immigrants have to "make up" for being immigrants by standing for the pledge. No one has to stand for that useless chant. It's actually unpatriotic to force someone to stand for it. ;)

Reactions: The Catboy

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To prevent further derailment of this topic, please DM me if you would like to discuss this further. Thank you.
If you feel the need to PM me you can, but I gotta be honest I don't think this thread's going anywhere that it can't be pulled back to currently. I'm also not exactly "arguing to win" so much as both trying to understand your position and relate it back to my own experiences, so.... *shrug* your call, I guess

Reactions: GhostLatte

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ha, liberals don't like abortion. Nobody does.

I do. I find it an extremely valuable service, or indeed convenience, that the modern world can provide, one that helps a lot of people and society at large. I attach no greater moral burden to the process than I might someone going to the dentist, and would similarly offer to give someone a lift to and fro just as I might for that.

Reactions: The Catboy

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do. I find it an extremely valuable service, or indeed convenience, that the modern world can provide, one that helps a lot of people and society at large. I attach no greater moral burden to the process than I might someone going to the dentist, and would similarly offer to give someone a life to and fro just as I might for that.
To that end, though, it's not something you ENJOY, correct, just something you have no objection to? You have to be careful, otherwise you'll end up playing into the hypothetical (but not realistic) "hooker that goes to an abortion clinic on a weekly basis because she doesn't care about birth control" stereotype

Reactions: dpad_5678

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier I saw it phrased as "necessary evil" where I don't consider it an evil, not even close. That is where I was heading.

It is a positive service, a positive thing a person can do and can happily treat it lightly with friends just like a bad hangover.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!