Gaming How do you copy saves from 3DS 2GB SD card to 3DS XL 4GB SD card?

boombox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I upgraded to a 3DS XL today, and I was wondering -

how do you transfer your Eshop saves from your 2GB SDHC card onto the 4GB SDHC card?
  • I did the full system transfer from 3DS to 3DS XL.
  • I said yes to any DSi transfer to SD card..but there was no option to move my EShop saves over to my 3DS XL 4GB card?
  • I tried copying everything off my 2GB to my 4GB using my computer, but (like the transfer warning said) it doesn't do anything when you pop it into the 3DS XL.
Is there any particular folder in the 2GB that contains the saves that you can copy over?

I want to utilize my new 4GB storage, but I don't really want to lose my current drawings from Colors! or my Pull Blox saves.

Care to help a n00b out?

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No saves can be transfered from DSi-3ds-3DS XL!! Nintendo has stated this in their transfer guides, and we don't know why it is not posible. sorry if that sounded mean, it isn't intended to be that way.

Reactions: 1 person

boombox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No saves can be transfered from DSi-3ds-3DS XL!! Nintendo has stated this in their transfer guides, and we don't know why it is not posible. sorry if that sounded mean, it isn't intended to be that way.

It didn't at all, thanks for the info, I didn't notice this >____<
I guess I will have to complete my art on my 2GB before I start another on my 4GB!

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I guess I will have to complete my art on my 2GB before I start another on my 4GB!

THIS IS NOT TRUE! I hate it when people throw out misinformation like this. In your case it seems something has gone wrong.
I have successfully transferred all my data, by copying everything from my 2GB to 4GB card as you have done. You need to copy everything over, that means that you also need to copy hidden folders. How did you copy your data? That is where something has gone wrong.

The eShop data is only saved on the SD card, the 3DS does not have those saved in the extremely limited internal memory which is mainly used for streetpass data and the likes. The transfer always only transfers the on board memory, but at the same time transfers the system identifiers which make the SD information automatically linked to the new 3DS. So, literally taken, it does not transfer the data on the SD itself though it transfers its link. This has always been advertised by Nintendo, though I understand the confusion.

boombox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

THIS IS NOT TRUE! I hate it when people throw out misinformation like this. In your case it seems something has gone wrong.
I have successfully transferred all my data, by copying everything from my 2GB to 4GB card as you have done. You need to copy everything over, that means that you also need to copy hidden folders. How did you copy your data? That is where something has gone wrong.

The eShop data is only saved on the SD card, the 3DS does not have those saved in the extremely limited internal memory which is mainly used for streetpass data and the likes. The transfer always only transfers the on board memory, but at the same time transfers the system identifiers which make the SD information automatically linked to the new 3DS. So, literally taken, it does not transfer the data on the SD itself though it transfers its link. This has always been advertised by Nintendo, though I understand the confusion.

Hmmm, I must have done something wrong when I inserted my 2GB 3DS card into my 3DS XL then?
I'll have a little look to see if there are any hidden files, but I think my computer is set so it does show them.
Did you literally copy and paste one over to the other by using your computer?

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Hmmm, I must have done something wrong when I inserted my 2GB 3DS card into my 3DS XL then?
I'll have a little look to see if there are any hidden files, but I think my computer is set so it does show them.

Yes, that is what I did, I first tried it with the original SD card from my original 3DS, which worked. The system identifiers get transferred from your old 3DS to the 3DS XL, so they are compatible with the data on the SD card, it can't really miss actually. Things that I have read that went wrong with the transfer is with the internal memory stuff, not the SD card. I'd contact Nintendo if I were you, they are normally the most knowledgeable in these kind of situations.

boombox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes, that is what I did, I first tried it with the original SD card from my original 3DS, which worked. The system identifiers get transferred from your old 3DS to the 3DS XL, so they are compatible with the data on the SD card, it can't really miss actually. Things that I have read that went wrong with the transfer is with the internal memory stuff, not the SD card. I'd contact Nintendo if I were you, they are normally the most knowledgeable in these kind of situations.

Ok thanks, I'll give it another try and if I fail, try Nintendo >__

boombox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Ok thanks, I'll give it another try and if I fail, try Nintendo >__<

Luckily I had a backup of my card before I did the transfer (which I forgot about) I copied that over to the 4GB, and all my saves are there :D
Yay, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up