How do you calculate time differences between countries?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ComeTurismO, Oct 19, 2016.

1. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    OK, I'm getting tired of this and resorted here for help for my International Business class.

So, for example, in Toronto it is Eastern Savings Time (UTC-5). All countries on the left side is a day behind while on the right, it's a day ahead. In Frankfurt Germany, it's CEST (UTC+3) (according to my textbook).

If it's 9 AM in Toronto what time would it be in Germany? Do I just calculate the numbers it took for me to go from UTC -5 to UTC +3? I'm so confused, I get different answers from different websites :ohnoes:

Thanks a lot, lol

2. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    How do I calculate it? Simple I use Google. Google is Smart. ;)

3. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada

I'm In Toronto, and I've used Google. I already said that. But I get different answers from every other website.
    I have to show the math for a test or for the homework

Last edited by ComeTurismO, Oct 19, 2016
  4. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Well I can tell you Toronto is 3 hours ahead of Vancouver (Where I am). If you think of it that was it's not too hard. Try to study the time zones on maps.

Each timezone is 15 Degrees latitude and is 1 hour increase in timezone. 15 x 24 = 360 degrees. Some timezones are fucked like North Korea who don't care about anybody else.

Last edited by Luckkill4u, Oct 19, 2016
  5. ComeTurismO
    OP

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    Nevermind, I forgot about DST. The time zones + and - obviously varies since time changes so I have to work with these + and - UTC signs.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I linked this elsewhere but to be a bastard I will link it here as well

That might be why you are getting different answers from your rather simplified textbook example as it might not account for daylight savings where some websites might, or might not account for it properly. In the real world it is a complete bastard with all sorts of things happening from companies just not doing any business during the change, to using time zones of other countries/parts of theirs, to using different hours (the video above mentions China which is huge and uses one zone, so parts of China just start work at 11am instead which is far more sensible from where I sit).

Oh and pro tip if it has not already been given, just use 24 hour time.

Minnow likes this.
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    GMT, Greenwich Mean Time.
    The only time that should apply.

8. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, DST is bull shit and should go away already, we don't need it. Causes more harm and confusion than good.

As for time zones, I know most countries time zones in my head, esp Europe and Asia. But DST fucks that up, lol.