How do (J) and (U) saves work?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Dangerless, Oct 5, 2011.

Oct 5, 2011
  1. Dangerless
    OP

Newcomer Dangerless Member

United States
    Tell me if I'm wrong but let me understand how this works.

When you format the memory card depending what you save on it, it becomes region locked from that point.

Let's say you saved a Japanese game onto it, now if you play an American game and try to save it'll ask you to reformat the card and so on so forth.

If this is true is there a way to bypass this? Or is the above wrong and it doesn't matter? I was told a couple of different things so any help would be appreciated.

2. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    Wait what? It simply creates a new savefile for that game on the other region. I dont see why it should format to make it work with that region. Like if you save with a J game, and then save with a U game you dont need to format or anything. They just make a new save file for that game that only works for that game in that region.

3. Dangerless
    OP

United States

4. DarkStriker

Norway
    Looks like their region locked lol. Im not sure how they work, but i guess it either would be to encourage player to get games from their own region or something like that. Nintendo is know for being a retard about regions.

5. Dangerless
    OP

United States
    So basically, all I can do is simply have a memory card for (J) titles and one for (U) titles.

Means I'll have to buy another card just for this then, what a drag. Is there really nothing more I can do about it though?

6. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Maybe some third-party cards have a way to get around this?

Nintendo is a prick about region locking.

7. DarkStriker

Norway
    Third party memory cards might not have this issue though like chaos said. The only reasonable conclusion i can think of is because the save file is read different between J & U which i actually highly doubt.