Hacking How do I start looking for IOSU exploit?

martyjake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have some decent coding knowledge, and have programmed many things in Python and JavaScript, but the Wii U's architecture is completely foreign to me.

Is there any programs or guides I can follow to get started?

If more people work on this, the sooner we can find an exploit.

(Btw I'm not talking about how to hack my console, that's easy, I'm talking about researching and trying to find exploits/backdoors in the code)

Last edited by martyjake,

Spidey_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You should start learning C, then learning about operating systems, then research exploits on libraries and softwares with high probability of being embedded on the WiiU and with kernel mode access.
If you can find an exploit that is already known (and probably fixed), but Nintendo hasn't cared to patch, you can use it to gain code execution access.

Reactions: pustal

martyjake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You should start learning C, then learning about operating systems, then research exploits on libraries and softwares with high probability of being embedded on the WiiU and with kernel mode access.
If you can find an exploit that is already known (and probably fixed), but Nintendo hasn't cared to patch, you can use it to gain code execution access.

But if an exploit has already been fixed, then how can I further it?

Spidey_BR

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The key part is "Nintendo hasn't cared to patch". Find a brand new exploit is a job for veteran hackers and testers, it's not easy as one might think. You need to have a strong background on how computer works and on the history of exploitation, so you can search the viable spots.

What I suggested is for you to research security forums and websites for newish exploits on software that WiiU uses, i.e. Webkit (but this doesn't have kernel mode access), and test if it has already being patched by Nintendo. If it hasn't, PROFIT! After finding the exploit, you have to program the code that makes it usable and useful, but that's the easy part, there are plenty of programmers and also SDKs floating around for this already (think homebrew launcher libs).

martyjake

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The key part is "Nintendo hasn't cared to patch". Find a brand new exploit is a job for veteran hackers and testers, it's not easy as one might think. You need to have a strong background on how computer works and on the history of exploitation, so you can search the viable spots.

What I suggested is for you to research security forums and websites for newish exploits on software that WiiU uses, i.e. Webkit (but this doesn't have kernel mode access), and test if it has already being patched by Nintendo. If it hasn't, PROFIT! After finding the exploit, you have to program the code that makes it usable and useful, but that's the easy part, there are plenty of programmers and also SDKs floating around for this already (think homebrew launcher libs).

Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Is there any known apps/games that have full permissions granted by the IOSU? Or do we not know any?

JustPingo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. Is there any known apps/games that have full permissions granted by the IOSU? Or do we not know any?

Not even CafeOS kernel has every permissions (IOSU keeps most of them for itself, like for example the sweet sweet global arbitrary RAM R/W).
Learning C and assembly (and so detailed low level computer science in general) is the best way to start thinking about how it could go wrong.
Train yourself at reverse-engineering, for example trying to figure out functions in IOSU is a good way to get yourself familiarised with ARM ASM.
Document yourself on typical attacks, for example buffer overflows, race attacks, or techniques like ROP (or stack pivot).
Read http://www.wiiubrew.org/ a lot too.
Good luck!

Last edited by JustPingo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent