How do I install a custom theme for rxtools?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by BeefBaby, Nov 11, 2015.

1. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Hi recently I installed rxtools so I can access eshop and isntall cia's. I was wondering if there was anyway to have a custom theme within rxtools. I use menuhax to boot into rxtools, and installed a custom theme within the menuhax program on Homebrew menu. However this theme is only shown in sysnand(I believe that's what it is called.) and not shown in emunand(I think that is what it is called :P). Thanks as always.

2. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
  3. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Thanks I will test it right now. :D

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

After it freezing, then restarting and testing again. IT WORKED WOOHOO! Thank you so much. I couldn't find any information on how to do this anywhere. I hope this can help others. Thanks Thanks Thanks. :grog:

4. wsquan171

wsquan171 GBAtemp Regular

GBAtemp Patron
    wsquan171 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2015
    China
    I haven't tried it before so I'm glad it works! Just out of curious: Do you have eshop-themes installed before you install custom themes? I wonder if installing custom ones will ruin those purchased from eshop.

5. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    I have not purchased any from the eshop. For some reason now though I think this may have fucked up menuhax. When I hold L to boot into rxtools it just doesn't even load the menuhax. After trying to reinstall nothing happens. :/

6. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Sadly I think using a custom theme even with the cia chmm causes menuhax not to work :/. I guess I'll have to find a different method. Anyone else have any other ideas? Also does anyone know of a cia so I can boot straight into homebrew menu?

Last edited by BeefBaby, Nov 11, 2015
  7. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Well, you have to go to the homebrew menu after booting your emunand (using Cubic Ninja, Ironfall or whatever), otherwise the theme will be applied to sysnand and kill menuhax.

But anyway, if you're running rxTools, you probably can use Howling Theme Tool. It packs your themes into a cia that you can install, and then your themes are available in your 3DS's theme menu.

8. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    I will try this but I think applying any theme in the 3ds's theme menu also kills menuhax.

9. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Not if you apply it only in emuNAND and if your NANDs are unlinked. Otherwise yes, obviously playing with themes kills menuhax. If you want a themed menu on your sysNAND and still be able to use menuhax, you have to use menus in the menuhax installer to install a theme along with menuhax.

Ammako likes this.
  10. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Alright how do I know if my NANDs are linked.

11. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Alright I believe my sysnand and emunand are linked :/ can you tell me the method you used to unlink them? Can I just format sysnand with my sd card out and that will unlink them?

12. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    If you don't know it, they are probably linked. Just have a look at this topic for example to have a quick explanation about NAND links. You can check if they are linked by looking at the "Nintendo 3DS" folder and see if it has one or two sub folders. If one, linked. If two, unlinked.

Yes, formatting your sysNAND (with sd card out) will unlink them. And make you lose everything you have on your sysNAND but you'll probably use your emuNAND more often now I guess. You'll just have to reinstall menuhax.

BeefBaby likes this.
  13. BeefBaby
    OP

BeefBaby GBAtemp Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    United States
    Alright will do right now.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Alright I unlinked them by formatting sysnand with my sd card out. Then installed menuhax, then went on rxtools and installed a theme. IT WORKED Woohoo for real this time. :D Now menuhax works and I got a dank theme. Thanks m8.