Hacking How do I handle large 4GB+ WAD files?!?

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could you try the wad manager from USBLoaderGX?
I don't know how, actually. USBLoader GX is fairly new to me.

maybe it's corrupted? or incomplete. too bad your file doesn't come with a sfv or md5, or sha1 to verify you have all good 4GB data.
A friend gave it to me. He didn't supply a "file checking" file like md5.

It looks like it's a Wii file based on the header you screenshot, but you took only the header in ASCII, which is full of ".........." and useless if we want to verify the data, like header size (the 4 first bytes), tmd length (tmd is file list, which is what I want to see).
what you shown is not enough to check the wad content, I need to see more.
if you are on windows, hexeditor can be used to copy the first bytes of a file into another file, but there's no easy method except copy/paste.
if you are on linux, you can use dd to copy only specific size into another file.

I think 1MB is enough to get the tmd and beginning of the data.
if you don't know how to do that, just make the same screenshot, but from the hex values now.
All right, I'll figure out how to do the dd thing later. I'll just attach another snapshot (I'm using lfhex, by the way):
Screenshot 2019-03-30 15:35:59.png

Sorry about the red rectangle. Kazam has been giving me problems lately...

I have a Rock Band 2 WAD Installer from... somewhere? Might be relevant. I have attached it.
EDIT: Wait it's not for sZJE :unsure: Sorry
Saved it anyway. You never know when those things might come in handy. :-)

Reactions: Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a Rock Band 2 WAD Installer from... somewhere? Might be relevant.
I didn't know there were a special wad installer for that game. maybe that's specifically used to bypass max wad size check?
based on the meta.xml I can tell it's an old homebrew, it doesn't rely on IOS58+AHB, (not even "no_ios_reload" tag in it), so it probably requires IOS236 or a cIOS in slot249 base 36/38 to works.

I'll just attach another snapshot (I'm using lfhex, by the way):
Thanks, that's what I wanted. I'll check it later when I'll have some time. I have no idea what I'm really expecting, it's just to see if it's following the WAD file's specs, or if it's a special wad format and actually requires the "RB wad installer" from 2 post above.
edit:
your screenshot only covers part of the header (only the certificate). what I'm looking for is the tmd content, which is on the next screen.
if you want to dump the header, I guess I need the first 60188 bytes (0xEB1C) (60Kb), the encrypted data starts right after that.

WAD header struct:
header size : 0x0020
WAD Type : 'Is\0\0' (good, common type)
Certificate chain size : 0x00000A00 (2560)
Reserved : 0
Ticket size : 0x000002A4 (676)
TMD size : 0x00004858 (18520)
Data (APP) size : be0x166516E0 (375723744) only? not 4GB here, but only 358MB of data in that WAD? I probably made a mistake with little/big endianness. big endian is not 4GB...
Footer size : 0

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: HarveyHouston

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: