How do I edit wii u games font?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by 0xffcf, May 21, 2016.

1. 0xffcf
    OP

0xffcf Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2016
    United States
    How do I edit wii u games font?(Especially .bffnt font)
    I want to edit mariokart and splatoon's font!
    Is there any tools to edit wiiu game's font?

2. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I don't think there are any firmware/BIOS/system/network provided fonts for the Wii U, though ROM hacking is not sufficiently advanced here to truly call that. I recognise the .bffnt extension from various Wii ( http://mk8.tockdom.com/wiki/BFFNT_(File_Format) ) and possibly even gamecube games ( http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap15.html#sec15.11 ), and I dare say related formats might have been seen on the DS and 3ds. Sadly neither of those links are anything of great merit as far as editing these fonts go.

As far as I am aware though there are no nice tools like we have for some of the DS font formats or these games specifically.

We are also mostly past the days of fonts just being long sections of same size tiles and quite often said fonts are loaded up with lots of custom info and are also each character with a custom size. It is still very possible to edit them (if you can see it then you can edit it) but I have nothing like http://gbatemp.net/threads/nftr-editor.105060/ or tinke to offer you.

What is it you want done? Depending upon what it is you might be able to do something more simply. Editing an existing character or three to remove a pixel or something is quite doable where adding a mass of new custom characters into an encoding would be a long and tedious process you would probably want to make a custom program for.

4. TiMeBoMb4u2

TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Wii U BFFNT files are bitmap font files. There are several games that have these, but I've been unable to find anything that can read or edit them. Please let me know if you find a way. Thanks.

5. [^Blark^]

[^Blark^] GBAtemp Fan

Dec 19, 2012
    United States
    BCFNT there is a tool.(for .3ds)

BFFNT I'm not sure. but these files both appear in some 3DS games as well.

6. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    there's a QuickBMS script floating around to extract the BFFNT bitmaps to individual GTX files to convert further to DDS but there's no way to convert it back in right now, it's pretty low on my list of priorities

Whatnoww likes this.
  7. Deck of Noobs

Deck of Noobs Politically Incorrect

Apr 9, 2016
    United States
    3ds.guide
    Here's a fun fact: Minecraft Wii U's font is in ttf format

Monado_III likes this.