How do I Convert .tpl Files to .png Files with Wimgt?

Mjmannella

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've extracted .tpl files for Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 and would like to have its sprites as .png files. I tried looking for instructions on how to use Wimgt but the most I got was another thread on this forum that was less than helpful. Do the .tpl files need to be in a specific folder? What commands do I need to type into CMD to get what I want? I have basically no experience on how to use CMD-based programs so I apologise if I ask any obvious or redundant questions.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
I've extracted .tpl files for Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 and would like to have its sprites as .png files. I tried looking for instructions on how to use Wimgt but the most I got was another thread on this forum that was less than helpful. Do the .tpl files need to be in a specific folder? What commands do I need to type into CMD to get what I want? I have basically no experience on how to use CMD-based programs so I apologise if I ask any obvious or redundant questions.
Download @Wiimm's SZS tools (includes the WIMGT tool you're looking for) here: https://szs.wiimm.de/download.html

Usage in CMD for decode TPL and save decoded TPL in PNG files: (taken from https://szs.wiimm.de/wimgt)
Open the CMD window on the folder the executable wimgt.exe is, then write this command and press Enter:
wimgt.exe decode [TPL_input]

Example:
wimgt.exe decode save_banner.tpl
Another example: wimgt.exe decode VCPic.tpl

Mjmannella

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unfortunately that response isn't very clear in terms what I specifically need to do, none of my questions were given satisfactory answers. Some sort of image-based or video guide would be best.

Edit: to clarify, I already downloaded the latest version of the SZS tools, which is why I asked for help on how to use the Wimgt part of the program.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: cubes and SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Do the .tpl files need to be in a specific folder?
Yes. You need to copy the extracted TPL files you got from Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 to the folder where the wimgt.exe executable is stored.
(Example: if you have extracted all the contents of the SZS tools in a folder called "SZStools" on Downloads, then the folder will be Downloads/SZStools/bin)

1650299003170.png

What commands do I need to type into CMD to get what I want?
Open the CMD window on the folder the executable wimgt.exe is. (For this, first open the folder where is stored the wimgt.exe executable file, then right click in any empty space in the folder and select "Open Command Window Here").

image_635243330608233338.png

Or go to the address bar, write CMD and press Enter.

1650299337412.png

When the CMD windows appears, then write this command and press Enter:
wimgt.exe decode [TPL_input]

Example:
wimgt.exe decode save_banner.tpl
Another example: wimgt.exe decode VCPic.tpl

1650299414377.png

Once this screen appear, you have made a PNG file from your TPL:

1650299455882.png

1650299480591.png

Unfortunately i don't find any video guide for doing this stuff, sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: And coffee flavored creamer for your coffee