Hardware How do EUR 3DS know whether to connect to Australian eShop or European eShop?

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How does it know? Does it use your external IP to detect where you are in the world and connect accordingly? I'm pretty sure Australia and Europe have different eShops altogether and not just the same eShop with different viewing currency because in Freeshop you can see Australia and Europe as separate options.

Australian 3DS are all EUR.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't you just pick a region when you're setting up your 3DS? I remember when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire released, a lot of EU people were formatting their system to get the AU eShop so they could get the game a week early.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't you just pick a region when you're setting up your 3DS? I remember when Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire released, a lot of EU people were formatting their system to get the AU eShop so they could get the game a week early.

Wow how did I not think of that... Yep that sounds right and probably how it probably works. IP detection sounds implausible because you could set up an EUR 3DS in North America in which case it wouldn't know what to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Pikachu used jumper cables it was sadism lol